Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Stubborn Hawk

Day two training session was about the same . . . or even worse.

Last night's low was 37 degrees . . . not quite as cold. Pente's weight today was 3 lbs. 3.6 oz (or 51.6 oz).

I set her up in the training area, and she did fly to me, once, for a pretty short hop. Then she became very distracted by some sounds in the nearby bushes. I have chickens, I have cats, and I have rabbits in those bushes. I didn't see any of the above. But Pente became quite aggitated, almost frantic. She bolted. Fortunately, she didn't get too far, due to the creance. It took a few minutes for her to calm down. She was breathing rather heavy.

I put her in her mews for a bit to calm down . . . and moved the training perch to a location that I've worked her some throughout the summer. It is more open, with no tall bushes nearby. I then took her out of her mews, to the perch in a new location. She was calmer, but was having none of my nonsense today. She looked around, decided she was no longer in danger, then tucked a leg, content to just sit there.

Well, another day then with no dinner. Maybe tomorrow she'll be a little more focused.

cdb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter