Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Friday, September 16, 2005

2005 Trapping Season for Falconry

Today is September 16, the opening day of the 2005 Trapping Season for Falconry!

I decided to take a day off from work, to finish preparing my equipment, and to go out and play just a little, to see what's out there. I drove out at 6:30, as it was just becomming light. There were patches of thick fog, and the early morning sun angle was quite harsh. Turns out, I didn't actually start to see any birds until about an hour later. I drove around, mostly seeing 'haggards' (mature birds). But finally, as I was returning from the Tomah area I saw a passage bird (immature) in the trees in a field along Hwy. 12/16. Actually, I saw two birds! I dropped my trap and moved off, but before I was even turned around, the bird was on the trap. And, I also immediately caught the attention of a person who was driving home from work. He stopped to see what was going on. I explained I was a licensed falconer, and began to give him a Falconry 101 lesson. As I was securing the bird to weigh it, I caught the attention of another person. This time a State Trooper. I greeted the officer as soon as she came out of her vehicle. Again, I explained I was a licensed falconer, and offered to show her my license. She wanted to see it. So, after assuring her that I wasn't doing anything illegal, she also was interested in the process. I hooded and cast the bird, and weighed it. Just 38 oz. A very small bird!! He had very dirty feet! After showing my audience how to tell a passage bird from a mature, I removed the hose and hood, and sent the little tiercel on his way. Maybe he learned a lesson that might save his life later! I bid my audience farewell, and continued on my way.

As I came home for a break, I decided to see if the bird we've been spotting quite a bit was in the area. It was. It also came down to the trap as soon as I dropped it. This time, I was in a very remote area, so I did not catch any attention. And this bird managed to hook itself on about 6 of the nooses. It wasn't going anywhere!! In fact, I had to cut a couple to free it. This one had nice clean feet. But, after casting and taking it home to weigh (I was about 2 minutes from my home) it also was simply too small. 36 oz. Another small tiercel. So, I freed this one of the hose and tape, and sent him on his way. It was 9:00, and I had already caught two birds.

After grabbing a cup of coffee, I returned to 'hawk stalking'. By this time the sun was substantially higher, and not quite so harsh. I began to see quite a few more birds. Most of the time they were adults. In one case, a pair, sitting pretty close to each other. Most likely a mated pair. I yelled out the window to them, "Where Are Your Children??" They gave no reply! As I travelled I did spot three more appropriate, trapable birds. Two were pretty fair sized, and may have been the females I was after. However, in both cases, by the time I stopped and dropped my trap, fumbling with it, as I was trapping alone and had no help, both birds flushed and flew off. The final bird took its time to notice the trap. And once it did, took its time to decide to check it out. When it finally did, and became hooked, I immediately drove to catch it up. However, it broke free at the last moment.

So, by 11:00 I had managed to trap three birds, of which two I had in the hand. And two other appropriate birds were seen. And all of this only about 10 miles radius from my house. The birds are here, and plentiful. I can be choosy!

Tomorrow I leave very early to meet up with several friends and go down to Madison or Janesville. There is a pheasant farm we frequently visit. So, we should have many opportunities for good birds!

It's going to be fun!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter