Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bunny #5

Well, because my memory is slippery at best, and full of holes at worst, I guess I should start a list here. I hope it will get longer before the season is done.

I have had some problems earlier in the season finding game for Nina. We seem to be having a bit more success as the months move on, strangely enough! When given a pretty good slip, she goes for the game, and is successful. So, I guess as a falconry bird she's not too bad. However, as a falconer I probably don't get her out as much as I should.

I went out on a Saturday hunt on February 4th. I picked the very thick field in Sparta. There was fresh snow on the ground, and I could see some bunny activity in it. So, this field did have rabbits. But it is a tough field. Lots of large brush piles, and thick plants . . . . hard for the falconer. But, I gave it a try anyway.

If I ever move to someplace that is easier to hawk, I should be well prepared for it. Wisconsin seems to be pretty tough to work. But, maybe I'm just complaining.

I was in the field for about 20 minutes. A bunny flushed out in front of me, and Nina chased it, and crashed but missed. I moved up, and I guess maybe flushed the same bunny. She tried again, and this time caught it. When I moved in, however, she was holding it under the brush, reaching in with her foot. I had to move her around to reach inside and grab bunny to extract both of them. This was also in the middle of some pretty thick brush. So I dragged both out and moved to a little more open spot.

Transferred Nina to the lure. Put bunny in bag. Bring her up to the fist. Then look around. How do I get out? It is amazing how far in you can come when you are focusing on hunting. And I frequently ask myself when I am out hawing, How the heck did I get here?? And how the heck do I get out?? It was also not made any easier as Nina gets all keyed up after a hunt, bitches and bitches at me like the little baby she is, and that she is named for, and refuses to be hooded. So, I'm working my way out of this difficult field, and trying to not fall over and squash my bird. She's making a fuss the whole time. And the evil little thought comes into my head that sometimes I'd like to strangle her and add her to the game bag! OK . . . . check that thought!!

So, after a little struggle, I was able to get out of the field and back to the car. Nina jumped happily to the little transport bow perch I have. And after a moment, I was then able to pick her up and hood her. Silly bird! Into her box she goes, and into the car. I then cleaned out the bunny in the field so I wouldn't have to fuss with it at home, and into the trunk with it.

I then stopped in town to wash my hands and change my clothes, and to call Dave, and had to stretch my memory some. So, in order that I not forget:

Bunny #1: Caught in Oakdale
Bunny #2: Caught in Janesville near the pheasant farm
Bunny #3: Caught in the patch across from the Travel Mart
Bunny #4: Caught in the patch outside WWTC, Mauston
Bunny #5: Caught in Sparta

1 small squirrel caught with Phil

Oh, and a vole, which really doesn't count!

Next weekend we have the Wisconsin Falconers Meet. I hope she scores there. And, I just received my invitation for Lady Hawkers down in Illinois in March. I think I'll go!

Hopefully the numbers will increase before the season ends.

She's learning to stick near me! I don't think I'll keep her permanent, but will probably intermew her, as I have a couple of educational talks I've agreed to do over the summer and fall. And I need a bird to demonstrate. But, come September 16, I will begin to trap again. And as soon as I'm comfortable with the new bird . . . . . Nina . . . . . this bitchy annoying bird, will get her freedom!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Tom Kufahl said…

    that looks like a good sized bunny. Would that last her a couple of days? I'm glad to see you up and running again. I think all the live creatures provide us with hard time, but it's so much worth it to get to the good times. I just saw the picture of the snake. I honestly was enjoying the slow, pleasant day, and never gave a thought to the day until I started my nap. Darn. The snake is beautiful. I would love it, but the person keeping it might fall in love with it, I was the person who messed up, so if she(?) keeps it, that would be right. Sorry I missed visiting, see you later.

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Tom Kufahl said…

    That's not what I said. Blogger published something old, and I'm not going to write it all over. I'm too old to do that. Tell Blogger to get smarter.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter