Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Reverse Sexual Dimorphism

I have the ability to demonstrate here an interesting fact among raptors. Unique among most animals, the females are bigger than the males. In falconry, we refer to the male as a 'tiercel', meaning 'third' . . . as in the male being one-third the size of the female. The term 'tiercel' originally was applied only to the male falcon, but has been bastardized somewhat, and now refers generally to any male bird.

At this time, I have the unique ability to demonstrate here the size differences. A falconer friend of mine is away on a business trip for several weeks. However, he wants his bird to remain manned, wed to the lure, and hood trained. I have agreed to assist him in this task, and actually feel quite honored that he trusts me to care for his bird. As a side bonus, he built a new mews on my property to house his bird. It is quite nice, airy and light!

Here is a picture of my own bird, Nina. She is a female Eastern Red-Tail in adult plummage.


And this is my friend's bird. He is a male Eastern Red-Tail, in juvenile plummage.


This is known as Reverse Sexual Dimorphism!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter