Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Monday, October 04, 2004

Success

A very lovely fall afternoon . . . and a successful training day.

Pente weighed in at 3 lbs. 2.6 (50.6 oz) today. Lowest temperature last night was 33 degrees.

She thought about being stubborn again, for just a short time, then finally responded again and again to my call to come to my gauntlet. Still slow, and still distracted, but she did work for me today.

Regardless of the fact that our birds are hunting partners, and are not pets, it still pleases me to feed her. Granted, there is no danger that she's going to 'starve' . . . the whole point is that she's quite fat, and needs to slim down and tone up. But I still like it when she eats! She kept spearing the tidbits of meat on her beak . . . and had to work them off with her tongue. Once we got the process going, she worked through the entire bag of meat. I finished her off with her lure, which had a mouse on it.

At one point during the training session, in the field behind where I was working, a coopers hawk broke from the tree line, and flew out over the field across the street, now golden with ripe soybeans. Distinctive with their quick wing beats, and those really long tails, it wheeled about, checking the field for any quick snacks, and finally flew off into the distance.

A very lovely fall afternoon! It's supposed to get pretty cold tonight . . . mid 20's. I'm glad Pente finally stopped being stubborn. I prefer for her to have a little something in her crop when it's going to be a cold night.

cdb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter