Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Saturday, December 04, 2004

NAFA Field Meet - Friday

I didn't have a whole lot planned for Friday . . . as I couldn't fly Pente. I took her over to the meet hall and tied her out for the day, and then went to do a few errands. I went by the library, but it was closed, so no e-mails. I did do a little shopping, to get a couple gifts for friends. Bill had gone out trapping that morning, but wanted to take only his son. We had agreed to get together that afternoon, and we as a group went to another of his hot spots. And hot it really was. There were bunnies all over the place. KC caught two more while there. After the hawk flew, the Oakes family let their dogs run in the field just a bit. Marcie and I joked that we would have plenty of time to get back to Garden City to clean up and get dressed for the final banquet that evening. When time to go, Bill decided he would try to trap one last time. So Marcie came back with me. As we pulled into Garden City, I got a call on my cell. Bill apparently had trapped a bird, a passage redtail . . . but she was going to need some help. She had torn open her entire crop. He wanted for us to locate the vet, and he would see them when he got back. I walked around the hotel a bit with Marcie, with her really doing most of the foot work. Once she had done all she could, I said goodby, and returned to clean up and get dressed. Once that was done, I found the Oakes again. Bill was back now, and his new bird was resting on the floor. One of the meet vets had come and done quick surgery for her in the hotel room, and sewed up her crop. But, she also had frounce, and pox on her feet. She really was a mess!! Bill coming along was her last chance to survive . . . and that is the name he apparently has decided to give her . . . "Chance". I thought one of the other names he had been bouncing around, zipper neck, or Zippy was catchy!!

The final evening the guest speaker was Walter Crawford, with the World Bird Sanctuary. He was a very good speaker, and the food was good too. After that was announcements, and thank yous, and presentation of meet pins, and the big raffle. I did manage to win one very nice item, a new gauntlet, with jess grease and VitaHawk thrown in. I had come to the meet with intentions to buy a gauntlet and hood for Pente, which I did, but for an additional $20 for the raffle, I took home two gauntlets. Not too bad!

I said my goodbyes to Bill and Marcie that evening, and wished them a safe drive home, and thanked them for letting me hang out with them all week. The meet was over, and it was time to head back home.

End Day Five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter