Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

There are no rabbits in Necedah!!

But there are squirrels. Even still, I didn't bring one home tonight. Which is just as well. The nice bonus of not catching anything is that when you get home you don't have to clean and cut up any game.

I left work a little early today to get Pente out for some exercise. We checked out a lot of the little wood lots in Necedah, next to the golf course. Pente found a mouse right at the beginning . . . and in fact carried it up to a tree to eat. But after much tramping around in the increasingly darker, misty afternoon, I was just about ready to call her down, when I heard her down on the ground behind me. There was a strange squeeking noise, and I didn't realize it was something she had caught. I came back up the hill just in time to see her moving around on the ground, and then see a squirrel escape back up the tree. It was moving a little slow, so I think she might have hurt it. But apparently she didn't have a good enough grip on it to keep it from getting away. I checked the tree out for her, whacking it with my stick, but it was a very large tree, and there was a crack in it, where the squirrel most likely was hidden. Pente moved from branch to branch, looking for her dinner that got away. She was frustrated. I thumped the tree for a bit, and let her flip around a bit to let go of some of her frustration, and then I called her down to the lure, packed her up, and got going home. As I pulled out of the park where I had left my car, there was a squirrel running across the lawn. Darn . . . if I'd only seen that about 10 minutes earlier!

BTW . . . today I also tried to trap some sparrows at work. I'm using one of my 'green' canaries as bait. A couple birds got pretty close. Maybe tomorrow I'll catch at least one. I'll use the sparrows to 'enter' Rigel to hunting them. Sometime later I might use Kookla, my pet starling, to trap some wild starlings. But I might also seek some guidance down in Kansas from any falconer who works with kestrels, and is willing to give me some tips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter