Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Friday, October 22, 2004

I'll be back in the field soon!

Update on Pente.

Unfortunately, my big girl had to stay in her mews all day on Wednesday, as I left to go to work early, thinking I might have to leave work to go to the vet. But, I was able to get a late appointment, not missing any work-time, so didn't get home until late as well.

I took her to Nelson park on Thursday, picking up my girlfriend as I went. I wanted to try her behavior with another person standing around. She did absolutely WONDERFUL!! Weight was 2 lbs. 14.2 oz (46.2 oz). She flew the entire creance, 50 yards, and ignored my friend for the most part, which is what she is supposed to do. I then moved beyond the 50 yards, and she still came, without hesitation. We are very close! I plan for one final test. On Saturday evening I'm to join my friend and her husband, with my husband, and go over to her parent's home. They have a wide open yard that Pente has never been to. With a completely strange location, and a bunch of people standing around watching, if she performs well under these circumstances, I know she is at weight . . . . and I will take her out on Sunday to hunt. We'll see what happens tomorrow!

As for today, it was drizzling, cool and unpleasant. I worked her in the yard just for a bit to stretch her wings, and also to give her something for her crop . . . even if it is only washed meat, with a small mouse on the lure. I also took this opportunity to test her against my wearing rain gear. I figure I need to take rain gear with me to Kansas next month, just in case, when I go to the NAFA meet. You never know what kind of weather we might have. Could rain. Pente was ever so slightly uneasy at first about the rain poncho, but very quickly decided that I'm just the same falconer she's always worked with, and she was really hungry, and could care less about whatever I was wearing. We went through the meat quickly. Also, she is increasingly becoming more aggresive on the lure. 2 lbs. 13.8 today (45.8 oz). Yes, I think I will be taking her out on Sunday.

Now . . . where should I start my first hunt??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter