Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Monday, October 18, 2004

A Good Session

Today was a very good working session for Pente. Her weight was back to where it was yesterday, 2 lbs 15.8 oz (47.8 oz). The cool evenings are starting to work for me. I set up her perch and creance in front of my house, along the edge of the road. I've never tried this before, as you would have to pay close attention to any traffic that may come by. But few cars come down my remote country road. No one drove by today while I was working my bird. There was a pretty good wind today, so I had my hawk fly into the wind. I was able to get her to fly the full creance, into the wind, multiple times. I think she got really good exercise today. She also responded very quickly every time I called. However, I know that she must be dropped a bit lower, as she was responding well today simply because we are working at my home, and she's familiar with the area. I will know her true flight weight once she will respond instantaneously in a strange location. I hope to maybe find that weight, and get her out for a first hunt this next weekend. With many cold evenings, maybe I'll be able to do that.

Little Rigel (Ellis) is also making really good progress. He appears to be wed to his lure (which for you non-falconry people means that when he sees his lure, he comes immediately and with purpose and "binds" to the lure, grabbing it to hold it down to eat the big tidbit of meat attached to it.) I've been using Dave's lure, but have now made my own. It looks a bit like a bird. Rigel also very clearly associates me with food. When he's hungry he's becoming very vocal when he sees me. In fact today he was even making what sounded to me like begging calls. Maybe I've made this little guy revert back to juvenile behavior. I've become his sole food provider, so he begs me most intently when he's hungry.

Training progresses very well for both my birds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter