Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Monday, June 06, 2005

Return to the Wild

The day had finally come, and as I write this, quickly moves away into the past.

On Saturday, May 28, 2005 I returned Abby to the wild. I've been steadily increasing her weight, but still working her with jump-ups to try to keep her fit. She's not in as good a condition as if she had been actively hunting every few days, which is the condition that most falconers release their birds. But her keel was well-rounded, and it is late spring, so food can be found in abundance. I figure that most newly fledged hawks have a pretty short time after leaving the nest to figure out the 'ropes' of survival, and without good condition either. Abby went through this last year, so should adapt quickly. After all, she does have some experience! I will never actually know how it turns out!

I removed her from her mews, where I've been keeping her mostly as the insects have begun to become abunant. A few final pictures were in order before I strip her of anklets and jesses. After weighing, she was just a feather shy of 3 lbs, I removed her leg gear. With her increased weight, she has become more stubborn and 'hawkish'. I had to be careful, as her feet were restless, and searching to foot me, even if the attempts were not very adamant. Still hooded, but free of the restraints she has worn since January, I took her outside to her training perch. I cast her hood, and began the daily training regimen. Though now free, and no longer tethered, she went about her exercises like normal. Such is the power of conditioning. With my husband alongside, taking digital pictures for my memories, we worked through all the meat in my pocket, so she would also be sent out with a full crop. There will be no need for hunting for a few days. Time for her to adapt.

When the meat was exhausted, I took her up on the glove one final time, said my goodbye, and cast her off. She flew just a few feet and landed on the ground. Well! How's that for a dramatic release! I walked over to try and take her back up on the glove, but now she wasn't interested in me, as I had no more food, and she was cropped up anyway. I spent a few minutes pushing her around a brush pile she was perched in, and finally just went a short distance and pulled my lure. No response there either! But when plopped down right in front of her, she grabbed it, and allowed herself to be pulled into a more open area. I let her feed off the lure for the final time, then put the lure away. A clap and a stomp in her direction, and she finally got herself up off the ground and took a perch in a pine at the tree line. A need to go and attend to other duties forced me to then take my leave of her. A check later in the day found no bird in that tree, or anywhere near. A lure call on the following day did not result in any kind of response.

So Abby has been returned to the wild, from where I borrowed her for a few months. Her time in captivity did her no harm, and I hope helped get her through the winter, and improves her chances at surviving.

I wish her well . . . and hope she'll survive to grow out her red tail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter