Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Visiting Family

Several days have gone by, and we’ve simply been doing the “family visiting” thing. I try very hard to not melt in this Texas heat. It has been getting up into the 100s every day. I’ve lost all ability to withstand the heat, as I am cold adapted now. My relatives, especially my nieces and nephews, think we are wimps, Shawn and I, because we complain of the heat. But, I simply return the comment with a smile, and invite them to come to Wisconsin in January, and see how they like 10 degrees. No one seems willing to accept my offer as of yet.

So each day goes by, and we try to coordinate our time to see everyone. We are doing an incredible amount of eating!! The food is good, but there is just too much of it. I don’t know why this is, but El Paso seems to have the greatest number and variety of restaurants I’ve ever seen. We have nothing quite like it in Wisconsin. Sure, there is Madison, but that is some distance away. We visited with Wayne and his family yesterday. This is Shawn’s oldest brother. Talking after a full Mexican meal he told us about other places in the city where he and his family have eaten. Too bad we don’t have several weeks to stay here and try some of them. But then we’d probably put on 20 lbs.!

For now, it is a desert morning. I’m sitting in my mother’s back yard typing out a few lines to load up onto the blog this morning. It is already 78 degrees in the shade. My mom has come outside to join me, and brought coffee. The white-winged doves coo all around us. Boat-tailed grackles occasionally fly by and perch and squawk out their varied songs. Ruby Throated Hummingbirds vie for space with each other and the wasps at the nectar feeder. The ever present house sparrows move in and out of the cedars. Ants have found my coffee cup and have swarmed it. My mother’s new puppy, Puddin, romps in the yard. She is a Pomeranian . . . and she is very cute! It is amazing that humans have been able to breed down the wolf to such a tiny little creature. Puddin is more like a kitten than a puppy. A hawk could pick this little fluff up and fly off with it. But for all of her lack of size, she’s as fierce as can be, and she doesn’t seem to know she only weighs a pound. My Mom’s other dog, Trinka, also a Pom, patiently tolerates the puppy’s antics.

A quiet pleasant morning spent where I grew up. Soon, very soon the sun will get high enough in the sky to shine into the yard, and it will become too hot to stay outside. We are going shopping today, my mom and I. Time spent with family!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter