Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

2005 Falconry Season Underway

So many things have happened over the past several weeks, and I've been busy living my life, and not taking time out to write about it.

I have a new hawk!

Thanks to the kindness of another falconer, who was willing to transfer a bird from his license to mine. He wishes to remain anonymous, but is known to me.

THANK YOU!! For letting me get back into the season!


I've many pictures to post. Trappings, and hunting. And soon, pictures of my new bird.

I've named her Nina! For unlike all the hawks I have handled before, she makes noise! She cries like a baby to be fed. So, she is "little girl" in Spanish!

I have flown her free 3 times, but didn't flush anything. Now I must get her out where we can find game, and get her "entered", that is, catching game. She comes reliably to the fist, and to the lure. Hoods very nice! Gentle and sweet! Flying at 43.2 oz. A pretty good sized bird!

Over the past couple weeks Phil's bird, Grace, is now trained, and caught her first bunny last Friday. And I'm told she caught a squirrel over the weekend! Little Tim has his first hawk, Einstein, a tiercel, and Bill Oakes is mentoring him in his first hawk training adventures. Dave has a new bird he is playing with. I'm not clear on whether it has a name or not! Or if he'll keep her. But he's also been helping friends doing some trapping lately, and not just red-tails, and has given me permission to use one of those pictures.

The season gets underway! Always, I enjoy this time of year. The cameraderie of my hawking friends. The crisp air outside. Walking through the woods and brushy areas, looking for bunnies. And always, our beautiful birds flying free over our heads!

I do love falconry!

I am so happy it is a part of my life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter