Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Vacation - Day 4

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

This was our last full day of our vacation. We lounged in the morning, with me allowing Shawn the chance to sleep in a little. Once we did get up and going, we went out on the Bay and took a digital film of seagull feeding. It came out quite nice! You have to have seen “Finding Nemo” to appreciate the humor of these birds. They appear quite mindless . . . and always food-oriented. Just start handing out something, and you’ll have a mob of them very quickly. For the record, they are Laughing Gulls, in winter plumage.

We then made our way to the beach, one last time, but first hit a couple of stores on the way. Souvenirs for friends. Magazines for the trip home. I found at a sporting goods store a cheap supply of leader sleeves, or connectors. I normally have to mail order these little pieces of plastic. They make attaching nooses to a BC very easy! These are usually salt-water fishing supplies, which is why you can’t find them in Wisconsin. I bought over 200 of them.

On this day we went out onto the Federal Park part of South Padre Island. It’s a 70 mile stretch of beach. Just keep driving until you find a spot that is relatively free of other visitors, and campers. This was the warmest day of our trip, into the 70s, and we both enjoyed the beach, after covering ourselves fully with sunscreen, to protect our terribly white Wisconsin skin. I’ve experienced beach sunburns before . . . and was not going to take one home with me this time. The water is still very cold, so no going into the ocean other than up to the legs. It was an enjoyable last visit. We had a picnic, and I saw a small crab peek out of his hole to see if the coast was clear. It wasn’t . . . he went back down his hole. On the way back to our hotel, I spotted a White-Tailed Hawk on the pole, and got lots of pictures.

After relaxing in our room for a bit, we cleaned up, and went out for a nice dinner. We found a nice fish restaurant on the bay, by the downtown. A very good dinner, shared with my husband. Our waitress was very friendly, and took a couple pictures of us, as we shared a decadent dessert. A few more pictures outside next to the boats . . . and then back to the hotel. Wednesday is a travel day, so need to get some sleep this time.

It has been a very nice vacation, and a welcome change, even though our home is very nice. I’ve gotten my dose of beach, which might have to last me now for several years. Lots of relaxation. Many new birds to the life list. A most excellent vacation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter