Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Vacation - Day 2

Sunday, December 26, 2004

I began this day taking a walk on the bay, as the sun came up. I was mobbed by the seagulls at first, as I was carrying a bowl of dry cereal. I shared some, but this was my breakfast, not theirs! We’ll catch them on our digital camera later. If you’ve never fed seagulls, its quite a scene!

The main thing we did this day was for Shawn’s benefit. Corpus Christi is the last resting place of the USS Lexington, a WWII naval carrier. It is permanently docked in the Corpus Christi Bay, and has been converted over into a museum. I did not find this particularly interesting, but then I don’t have a keen interest in old ships, and military stuff in general. Shawn does. We took many pictures, and toured the whole ship. It is showing its age in many places, and the sea air is taking its toll. There is a lot of rust. Shawn on several occasions remarked that he would have better enjoyed the tour if he could have shared it with some of his guy friends. I found the atmosphere to be somewhat depressive (just about everything military is) and there is a faint disturbing echo to old ships like this. Many people lost their lives serving on her, like all military craft.

The later portion of the day we went to Padre Island, to watch the sun go down, and the moon rise. My calendar said the moon was full on Friday, but I think it was not quite correct. We did still have a fairly full moon rise on Sunday. We took many pictures, and I did the beach model thing. Shawn took pictures. Several of them came out very nice. This is part of what I came to the beach to do. Sit and contemplate the waves. Meditate. Just be. It is a peace of the soul that I find in wild places. It became cold as the sun set (as I was traipsing about in my bathing suit) but I felt very good at the end of the day. The car heater was nice too!

Back in our room we enjoyed the decadence of delivered pizza! We live too far out in the boonies at home to get delivery!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter