Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Wrap Up . . . and Dark Clouds

The next two days, Saturday and Sunday, were a bit of a blur. These were travel days, and I was anxious to get back home.

On Saturday I decided to skip going through Kansas City again on the return trip, and instead went North into Nebraska. Once there, drive east into Des Moines. My first day of travel I probably tried to drive too far. I was terribly tired when I got there, only to discover there was some kind of college football game going on, and many of the hotels were booked. Go North just a little further, into Ames, and I found a place to sleep. I crashed for the night.

I was up early, and on the road. As I got closer to home, it became foggy, and apparently Minnesota had gotten some snow, which all disappeared when I got to Wisconsin. My husband was up to greet me with very strong coffee upon my return. The rest of the day was trying to recover, and get ready to go back to work the next day.


On Monday I made an appointment with Dr. Rasmussen for Pente. He checked her over, but could not look into her airways, as he did not have a scope to do that. However, he indicated that respiratory problems are usually one of three things:

Bacterial Infection - treatable with anti-biotics. However, that usually is accompanied with loss of appetite in the bird. Pente was eating as normal. So, probably not that.

Worms, for which he prescribed a worming treatment.

Asper . . . the worst possible thing . . . and what he thought it truly was. He gave me a prescription for Sporonox. I had this filled on Tuesday, and began giving her treatments morning and evening. She still continues to be absolutely ravenous. I don't notice any difference in her breathing . . . but it will take time. Dave and Bill are supportive that redtails can and do survive Asper. I'm hoping for the best. She is put out during the daytime, for fresh air and sunshine. At night I'm bringing her into the house, to rest hooded in her box, but with the door open. Her weight is going up, because she is eating so much.

It looks like I'm going to be off hawking for a month at least. Well . . . time to work with Rigel, and try to improve his behavior!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter