Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Bedroom Falconry

I feel I should share something that just happened. I find it to be quite amusing actually.

I just returned home, and while settling in, and starting to feed all the beasties before I make dinner for us, I went to feed Rigel.

I haven’t spoken much about Rigel in this blog for awhile. I feel as though I failed the little guy. I never did trap any sparrows or starlings, so did not get him on game. My plan has been to just take care of him through the winter, and then release him in spring.

Well, I brought his dinner up to him. A fresh mouse. I'll just let him kill it himself. I kill enough mice around her for hawks, and also when I do work with Rigel, and get him to fly to my fist. He can help me with the task once in awhile. Well, I dangled the mouse for him, and he flew up and grabbed it, and fell to the floor, and proceeded to tumble with the mouse. And then the mouse got free. I was able to grab it, and tossed it back at Rigel, but he missed it again, as he was tethered. By this time the little domestic mouse knew it was in trouble, and it ran for it . . . across the room, and under the bed.

GREAT!! I already have plenty of wild mice in my house. I don’t need any domestic ones also wandering around. I began looking and moving boxes, and saw the mouse run again and again. Well, OK. It’s pretty dumb. Doesn’t know to really get away, the way a wild mouse would. But it was too fast for me. However, I knew it wouldn’t be too fast for a kestrel. Rigel was small, and he could dive right under the bed. So, I took him off his tether, and we did a little bedroom falconry.

I was laughing to myself! I managed to move the mouse around a time or two, and when Rigel saw what I was doing, he then started working with me. Well . . . maybe I’ll make a falconry bird out of this little guy yet! At one point I was on one side of the bed, poking the contents underneath, as I knew the mouse was there. Rigel was waiting on the other side. The mouse ran, and Rigel made a mad dash for it. But missed. However, a few minutes later, I flushed it again, and this time Rigel was able to corner it. Dinnertime!

So, game count for Rigel . . . one domestic mouse, free ranging!

This gives me ideas. Maybe I shouldn’t give up on the little falcon. Maybe I should search out some fields where I might find some mice. Hey . . . it’s not rabbits, or pheasant, or quail . . . but it is hunting with a trained raptor!

And that is what Falconry is all about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter