Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Hawk Stalking

I drove down to Illinois on Friday evening, and stayed with my sister and her family. I didn't see too much of them, but it was nice of them to let me crash at their house. I was up early, out the door, and drove to the Bloomington-Normal, Illinois Holiday Inn. The Illinois falconry club was having a meet that day, and it was a good place to meet up with Mark, as it was a half-way point between his home, and my sister's home.

We then began the day, "Hawk Stalking" as my girlfriend calls it. And it was a tough day to stalk! Illinois had also suffered from the winter storm that went through Wisconsin in the previous few days, and all the trees . . . and I do mean ALL of them, were covered with a thick layer of ice, and then some with snow too. Now normally, in the winter, it is really easy to spot red-tailed hawks in trees, because they have white bellies. But, the ice made all the trees look white, so it was not an easy day. On top of that, at one point, I had Mark drive down a snowy road, thinking to get a better look at a tree line, but instead, while trying to turn around, we got stuck. He tried very hard to get his truck free, and we even cut some brush (he cut) and stuffed them under the tires (I stuffed) but it did no good. We ended up walking, looking for help. Fortunately, we did find two groups of people not too far away who had pity on us, and helped us out.

In the middle of the day we also took a break, and hunted Mark's bird, "One". Yeah . . . not a very original name! But it was the first bird he trapped last year, and turned out to be the "one" that he needed, wanted, and kept. She's been doing pretty good, catching bunnies . . . and there are a lot of them in Illinois. We hunted a field that was just loaded with them. We worked the field down, and then up over a railroad track. I walked the track, while Mark went down the other side. As I walked, I flushed a bunny down in the brush, and as it ran back along the hill by the track, up the hill, One came crashing down, and caught it. I was placed in a good location to see the whole thing. Very nice! One trades off her bunnies very nicely . . . but that's because she has a good falconer working her. Nice Job Mark!

We then continued 'Hawk Stalking'. We only saw one immy this day. All other hawks were haggards (adults) or rough-legs. We probably passed a lot of hawks, you just couldn't see them. The one immy hawk we did see was hanging out in an industrial area, at the margin of the town. She did show quite a lot of interest in the various traps we set out for her, but never landed and really worked them. We came back by the area late that afternoon, to see if we could spot her before it got dark. At the last moment, when we were about to give up, I spotted her. If she was settled in for the night, I knew where to find her the next day. So we called it a day, went back by the hotel, didn't see anyone, and I then transferred all my junk back to my car, and said good night to Mark. It was very nice of him to drive me around all day. I had plans to return in the AM and try for the immy hawk . . . and if not successful, go drive around with Mark some more, but this time nearer his home, as he knew that area better.

I returned to my sister's home, and we all went out for really good pizza, Chicago Style. It was a very nice dinner with them all . . . but when we returned to their home, I checked out pretty quick. Again, not getting a lot of sleep. Falconry, of late, had been very bad for my health! Not enough rest . . . and moody! I set my alarm, planning to be back in Normal at dawn.

I was awake on Sunday at 3:30. I couldn't sleep! I went ahead and got up, got myself ready, and loaded all my junk into the car. I left about 4:45, and was at the location of sleeping hawk at around 5:40 or so. I baited, reset all nooses, and set two traps, away from the road, but near enough to the trees where the target bird was last seen, but not so near that I would disturb her. I then backed off, and waited. Dawn came. I looked the target trees over with my binoculars, but I never did spot her. If she was there, she was well hidden. I decided that since I was set up, I'd just wait, and maybe when she woke up, even if not in the area, she might canvas her area, looking for breakfast. I didn't have to wait long.

A wing flash gave her away. And she went for my cone trap, which I set up under a bush, with 2 black mice. I saw her fly to the spot, and pulled out to get a closer look, as it was situated just beyond a little hill. As I approached, I watched her. She had landed by the trap, and was looking the situation over. She footed the trap, and again. She began to struggle . . . and I lept into action. I drove the rest of the way up the hill, stopped and parked the car, emergency lights on, grab gloves, and make a mad dash towards her. This girl did not get away . . . no, not this time! I had her! A new bird . . . but of course, terrified out of her mind! And I, was not so stable myself. This would be my first time handling a hawk on trap, all by myself. I approached her with gloves on both hands. Dave had always gone empty handed, but he had much more experience here than I. I didn't want to risk getting footed, and I wanted to grab her as quickly as I could. Once I had her, my heart started beating again, and I was able to breath. Now I could slow down.

I returned to the car, and very carefully slipped her nooses off, all the while holding onto her tightly. She had been caught by two of them, locked on the fat tips of her toes. I then taped her legs together, and taped the feet up. I had previously ripped off several long strips of tape, to be ready. Carefully work the panty hose "casting jacket" over her, and then a hood over her head. She was immobilized. Situate her for the ride, pick up the traps, park, and call everyone. Well, maybe not everyone. It was still only 7:00 on a Sunday morning. But I did call my husband first, to announce the good news, and then Mark, to let him know I would come visit with the new hawk. He could help me out with her.

The drive to Mark's home town is not very exciting! It is a lot of very flat land, a lot like Kansas! Once there, though, he gave me the full tour of his home, and more importantly, his mews. OH MY!! He has the most wonderful mews I've ever seen. One is certainly a very lucky hawk. It is quite roomy, and she is free lofted. She has a large window, with appropriate bars, but also a sunroof as well. She has a very nice block perch, and a safe high corner perch, and a large window perch where she can watch all the cats in the neighbor's yard walk by. Electricity is professionally installed.

Mark offered me coffee, and we went through the process of jessing up my new bird, and doing the first initial training on her . . . trying to get her onto the fist. It went well enough.

She weighed in at 46 ounces. Mark indicated most likely an average female. But she had no crop on her, and is also not overly fat. She's been feeding herself pretty well, lean, but making it in the winter. We know that where she was has adult hawks in the area, as we saw them, but she seems to have carved out a little territory for herself. She is, most likely, one of the 20% that make it. That is, until I came along with my trap. Now, if all goes well, she'll definitely make it, because I'll be able to give her a bit more practice time, and with a safety net in place. She'll not starve under my care.

I then packed her up, said good bye to Mark, and headed home. It's been a very busy weekend. But, now I have a new hunting partner. I did work with her just a little when I came home, and she seems to be coming out of her shock a little. She just bated a lot, and hung at the end of her jesses. Thus starts all the new processes to make a hunting hawk.

The next few weeks are going to be busy! But worth it! Definitely worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter