Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Rigel Too!

I had thought to wait a week or so before releasing Rigel, with the false expectation that I might be doing lure calls every day for Abby. However, very quickly when I accepted that Abby was long gone out of the area, I decided to wait no longer, and send Rigel on his way as well.

On Tuesday morning, May 31st, Rigel also won his freedom. I had Shawn help me the night before to remove all his leg gear. He slept in his box overnight 'naked' . . . that is, no restraints. In the morning, a few minutes before time for me to leave for work, I took his box outside. I recorded most of the event on my digital camera, although I didn't get the last crucial moment when he actually flew away.

I opened his door, and he began his begging call right away. I took him out and set him on the door. I offered him a live mouse, but he wasn't really interested right now. I took him up on my hand and said goodbye, and cast him off. He flew up to the garage, and sat there. Immediately the tree swallows who have a nestbox nearby became very aggitated, and began to dive-bomb him. Rigel just chattered some more, and gave out a full kestrel alarm call. I decided to offer him the mouse one more time, only this time I did kill it in a snap trap, and layed it out on a modified hack board I had made of cardboard, and off of which I've been feeding Rigel for the last couple weeks. I had thought to put the hack board out every day with a food offering, but ended up deciding against using it, because I do not think Rigel stayed in the area either. Rigel saw the mouse, offered as he has been fed recently, so did fly down and grab his breakfast. With a flip of the wing and in a flash, he was off to the forest with his breakfast-to-go in his little talons.

Goodbye little guy!

It has been very enjoyable keeping this smallest of the falcons, but it can't be called falconry, because I never got him on game. I plan to try again, and work harder this next fall. I shall trap until I have a passage female (the best I can guess) and I shall have some baggies on hand. I already have one starling that fell down my chimney. A second followed a couple days later, but for whatever reason, didn't make it in the cage I was keeping them in. So, in late summer I'll be starling trapping . . . so that in September I can kestrel trap.

And of course, redtail trapping will also occur. I will have another hunting hawk later this year! Falconry just goes on hold over the summer. Birds molt, facilities need repair. Plans are made for the next season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter