Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Speedy Bird!!

Today was just about the fastest successful hawking outing I have had! I was actually surprised this morning when I stepped Nina onto the scale to see she was at weight. I'd not planned to fly her today . . . but the scale said I should. I already had plans for a friend to come over and have dinner and to watch a movie. So I told my friend Jay that if he came over a little earlier he could go out hawking with me. So he did!

I chose a place outside of New Lisbon that I have not hit yet this year. Jay tells me he looked at his watch as we got out of the car and I geared up. It was 3:32. We flushed a rabbit almost immediately, but after making an attempt at it Nina decided she was going to fly across the road. OK . . .follow her. Within about 7 minutes of starting, she was down on bunny #1 for the day, and # 25 for the year. Because it happened soooo quick, I decided to just give her a little reward on the lure, and put her back up. So, up she went.

I moved off and began to work a patch that I thought a rabbit had run into. Apparently it did, or there was some other rabbit in there . . . for again, within about another 5 minutes or so, my bird came crashing down on bunny #2 for the day, # 26 for the year. Jay looked at his watch after catch #2 and told me it was 3:48. Quick Quick hunt!!

My Goodness Gracious!! If I had wanted, I could have gone for triples!! But taking 2 home was quite enough for me. In fact, I even cleaned one up really good, cut it up, and tomorrow plan to fry it like chicken. I'm told it is good that way. I'll find out!

Speedy Bird!! She is just HOT this year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter