Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Monday, February 12, 2007

Wisconsin Falconers Meet 2007

On Saturday, February 10 I attended the annual Wisconsin Falconers Meet down in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. I got up early, after having stayed up too late the night before, and got myself onto the road with hawk in tow to arrive about 8:30. When I got there I met up with Phil Yurtis and his crew (his wife Laurie and the two kids) and Dave Noble. Some of the folks who normally join us (Dave Z. and Mike Barlow) did not attend the hawking portion. Dave Z. was battling a cold. Mike doesn't have a bird this year. Bill Oakes was also hoping to come for a bit, but family obligations kept him busy elsewhere. Dave Noble decided to not fly his bird for this year, as she just doesn't like crowds. So he came along and flushed for those of us who did bring birds.

We gathered at the hotel and went downstairs and registered for the meet, and paid our membership dues for 2007. At the registration they had a treat for us all. New club gear! I happily purchased a T-Shirt. But then longingly started looking at the other stuff being offered. Passing up the hats was no problem. Nor was the $90 jackets, of which Dave did purchase. But they had some very nice, soft and warm sweat shirts. All it took was for me to try one on. I was hooked!! I decided I'm getting a pretty good return from taxes this year, I could afford to buy one for myself. So I've posted a picture of my new club sweatshirt. Now I can advertise the group when I go anywhere with it on . . . specifically other falconry related events. Lady Hawkers is coming up . . . and I plan to attend!

Anyway . . . back to the day . . .

So our little reduced in numbers group went hawking in one of the fields we normally hit every year when down at the meet. I volunteered to go first, for Nina was ready and eager. I put her up and we began to work the field. She didn't see the first bunny flush, and it went into a big pit in this field and down under all the junk that is there. She dove for the 2nd bunny flush but missed - and then picked herself back up and chased it for some distance, but lost it. This took us to the back of the field, and down into the railroad bed. We worked that area for a little bit, with her following us just fantastic. As we moved down the rail road, others were still up in the field, which attracted her back there. As I was climbing out of the railroad bed I was just in time to see her fly across the brushy field, do a wing over, and crash into the brush. After a little bit of a search we found her at the end of the field with bunny #22. A quick transfer, and then she was up on the fist, and I took her back to the car so that Phil could fly his bird.

Phil has quite the team going!! He's working with his second red-tail, Belle, as this is the second year of his apprenticeship. His wife is willing to come along with him, and was our photographer, using a very nice camera they have purchased. His two kids come along, with his son Tanner most certainly going to be one of our up and coming falconers, as soon as he's old enough. And this year he has a new member to the team . . . Tucker, a jack-russell terrier. It was just fun to watch the dog work the field, bouncing most of the way. We had lots and lots of flushes, but Belle is just not a morning bird, instead preferring to hunt in the afternoon. She got lots of exercise, and many slips, but just didn't connect with any of them. Finally, it was time to break and go catch some lunch.

Lunch accomplished, we quickly went by the new vet clinic staffed by Dave Zilker's wife, who is a veterinarian. If I was being a really good reporter, I would have taken a picture outside the clinic, but failed to do so. We got a tour of the facilities, and it is really nice! It is called the Token Creek Vet Clinic, as it is located in Token Creek. Dave's wife is very skilled at stained glass, and there are several examples of her work gracing the facilities - as well as artwork another relative (I believe his sister-in-law) has done. Dave Z. is very proud (as well he should be) for the nice, modern, artistically beautiful clinic he and his wife have built. So if you live in the area and read my ramblings . . . take your pets to the Token Creek Vet Clinic!

After our tour we had to hurry for the flight demo. This year there were more birds than usual flying, several goshawks and peregrines. And, as in years past, it was very very cold standing around watching the longwings and accipiters fly. I wandered around some, taking pictures of some of the unusual birds that were here this day, talking to folks, or spent time in Phil and Laurie's truck, sitting on the heated seats. I've been to several of these things, you'd think I'd have learned by now. I was dressed pretty warm, but next year I need to remember to bring more socks to change out into. After the demo, it was time for more hawking!

Our group then hooked up with one of Dave Z.'s apprentices, Aaron Allred. Aaron has a bird this year too, but I didn't get to see her. She's got an injury to a toe from a squirrel bite. So he has been treating her for that. But he and a friend came along for the afternoon hawking. They took us back to the industrial park we hunted last year, only a different portion of the field. Phil's bird went first . . . and very quickly caught her bunny. I then got Nina ready and flew her for a second time. We worked just a little harder for her, but within about 15 minutes or so, she was on bunny #2 for the day. That makes #23 for the year. She transferred off this bunny pretty easy, and I picked it up and checked it over. I didn't see any obvious wounds, and got witnesses that I had the bunny in hand to prove the catch . . . but wanted to do a release. However, after the release I realized that it was apparently far more injured from the impact of the catch. So we quickly re-caught it and put it into the game bag. Well, I tried to do catch and release!!

Phil then got his bird up again, and she was flown until it was dark, but no further catches were to be had! A picture of the group was taken, but my camera didn't seem to work right. So I'll see if Phil and Laurie will share a copy with me. I'll add it later if I can acquire it. Laurie also took several other pictures this day that were just outstanding!

We put away our gear and headed to dinner . . . quick oriental buffet . . . before heading back to the meet hotel for the guest speaker. I'm going to have to get with Phil, for he recorded the guest speaker's presentation. By this time, I was just so tired I was nodding off all night. He spoke about training merlins for falconry. This would be like using a souped up kestrel. Someday maybe! I'd like to try a kestrel again first. After the guest speaker we had the raffle. I won a set of Noble bells (yeah . . . can always use them) and a book on Harris Hawks.

After the meeting everyone broke and met in the bar. I played a tape I had brought, and some other tapes also were brought out. It was a nice end to a really great day. I just wish I could have stayed at the hotel, but decided against the expense. So I was surprised when I got to my car to discover it was 1:00. Wow!! It was a long drive home, but I made it fine . . . and slept very well, although maybe not enough.

The next day I attended my small bird club meeting in Rudolph, Wisconsin. I brought Nina and flew her, but the area just really wasn't good for flying, and she was getting a great distance from me. So I called her down.

A good hawking weekend!! I do so enjoy this activity . . . and the wonderful people I have met while pursuing it!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter