Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Job Shadow . . . and Bully Bird!!

Today I met with a person in Human Resources at the Gundersen Lutheran Hospital in La Crosse, and was soon thereafter introduced to several members of their respiratory therapy department. For several hours I followed the therapists around, and observed what they did. I have come away convinced this is definitely something I can do . . . and a future I should pursue. The hospital takes care of acute patients, and this is mostly what I observed. I think I shall also take the opportunity which has been offered to me through Workforce Connections to job shadow at the Mile Bluff hospital. The patients there may not be quite so critical. I am encouraged by this . . . and need to work on my homework tonight. One day at a time . . . I shall rebuild my life.

After my job shadow, I got some lunch, changed clothes, and then flew Nina outside of Onalaska. It was rather a long walk through deep snow, and I saw lots and lots of bunny sign, but only flushed 3 rabbits right at the end of my time in the field, and Nina missed them all. However, as I was out walking around this pretty open field, she was actively flying great distances and covering a lot of territory. I had to call her back to myself several times. However, on one particular incident I saw her fly a great distance across a valley and confronted the resident hawk, who had come out to push her out of the territory. Well, she must feel pretty confident about herself, for she flew like a shot to the other bird and bumped it from its perch. It moved off a short distance and perched again. A few moments later she did it again. By this time I was worried she might chase tail of the other bird, so I pulled the lure to bring her back, as small tidbit calls were just not doing the trick. Well, my bluff worked, for she then gave up the chase of the other bird, and headed back my way. Having gotten her attention, and there being a great distance for her to cover, I tucked the lure back into my vest. She looked a bit disgusted at me when she arrived, getting only a tidbit, but soon took a nearby tree and we continued the hunt. Near the end of the day we worked down into a deep valley, and then I realized we had worked all the way back to the spot I had hunted a week ago, back behind the Gander Mountain. However, from this angle, I could see there was a pretty substantial creek/river, which was still actively flowing. Nina did head off to the other side across this flowing water, of course, and crashed some brush, but thankfully missed whatever it was she was after. I would have been hard pressed to get to her . . . and I still hate the thought of having to swim or wade while out hawking. I have a very great respect for water, especially open water . . . and avoid it at all costs. I moved up the valley and pulled my lure to end the hunt before I did have this unfortunate situation.

It was a nice outting . . . a beautiful cold day with clear blue sky. As she ate, I just watched and listened as the minutes slipped by. A great flock of starlings were bubbling their clatter and calls in a great tree I had passed earlier. A pileated woodpecker flew by. Some days, where my bird takes me, even on the edge of towns, can be very peaceful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter