Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, January 11, 2007

OLA Demonstration - 2007 Version

Today, Thursday January 11, 2007 I was invited to return to talk with the Outdoor Living class at their Wonewoc forested area, called the OLA (Outdoor Living Area). However, unlike last year, we were successful in finding a bunny for Nina . . . and she made it #15 for the year. I gave a description of falconry as practiced in America with a red-tailed hawk, the legalities of the sport, spoke about the conservation of wild places to maintain hunting lands both for falconry, but more importantly, for the wild animals and birds to have a place to live. The students and their instructor, Kelly Rueckheim, asked good and pointed questions. All in all . . . it was a wonderful morning!

Sometime soon, I also hope to get a picture sent to me from one of the ladies at the demonstration. Nina gave a very good example of how you can be footed by your hawk if you are not careful. I've a good wound on my hand because of it. I was informed my particular expression was caught on camera. If the pic makes it to me, I'll be sure to post it.

Always . . . we must have respect for the bird! If not . . . she will teach you otherwise!

Thanks to all the student and their instructor for the invite!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter