Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Transfer

After a successful hunt we trade off the bird onto something smaller, the lure, or conduct a series of what are called transfers. Through repetition we take away the game they just caught by giving them something they can start eating right away. If done proper, the bird will not come to resent your stealing what they just caught, as they are still receiving a reward. As my friend Bill says, "They can only count to One!" They don't seem to notice the size difference between what they just had, and what you just offered . . . they only know they can eat it right away, no fur to deal with and such. If they finish eating what was offered, and then nothing else is around for them to see, they think they ate the whole thing. If what you offer is small enough, you can take them back up and hunt some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter