Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Aguas Caliente

I don't really have a whole lot to say about Aguas Caliente (AC). It is a fairly serious tourist town at the base of Machu Picchu. It is the final train destination where you catch the bus up, or walk if you are adventurous. I did not take a whole lot of pictures there, because there was not much to take a picture of. There are some hot water baths in the town, but I was unwilling to pay to see or experience them. Above is a peek at some of the incredibly high peaks you can see on the way. They are snow covered, but also mostly shrouded in the clouds.
There is a daily train (several actually) that travel between Cuzco and AC. There are three levels of service that you can purchase. My trip to AC was in the "Backpacker" service, and it was mostly just a seat to sit in. On the return trip I was on the Vistadome, which gave you a lunch, and a fashion show as well as entertainment (above). The train cars also have glass ceilings, "vista domes" so you can see the surrounding terrain. The highest level is called "Hiram Bingham" and that has cloth covered tables. I don't know what other niceties they have because I wasn't in that train car! You pay the same ticket regardless of whether you get on the train at Cuzco, or many miles down the track, as I did. Either way it gets you to AC, and is the only way, for no roads go that way. Peru is maximizing its income through making something that is already remote and hard to get to . . . continue to be that way.
The town is nested inside several massive mountains. My camera simply does not catch the scope of them. It has none of the charms of Ollaytaytambo. But you can choose from a multitude of places to sleep and eat and buy any kind of souvenir your heart desires. Few, if any, come to this place for the town . . . but of course it is the gateway to Machu Picchu. I slept well the two nights I was there, and experienced cuy, and a Pisco Sour, which is the Peruvian national beverage. Both were good!

I've no idea who this guy is! He stands in the village square. A massive Christmas tree made out of used green soda bottles was to the left of him, but I strategically left that out of the picture. Machu Picchu was the home of Incan royalty and nobility. But that was a long time ago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter