Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Arrival

It was still early morning as we passed through Colorado Springs, and came to the home of our hosts, Joan and Jerry in Penrose. They operate an on-line mail order bookstore from their home . . . and what a home! Such a beautiful place, fashioned in a Southwest architecture. And filled with beautiful art! Joan has many beautiful handmade items from local Native American artists. To my mind the nicest are several Power Animal Kachinas that have been made by an Ojibway couple. One is an Eagle Spirit, and I shall make a separate entry regarding it. She also has many Medicine Wheels on her walls. Jerry collects rugs and pottery – and there are many exquisite examples of fine craftsmanship. He also has many beautiful stained glass mosaics. I hope later today to take a picture of one of them and include it here.

Their home is cool and comfortable. There is a restful energy that permeates the place and those who live here. They have a very large, very protective mastiff named Alex. He’s not too interested in making friends, and instead takes his role of protector very seriously. But there is also Mavis, a very sweet, very large cross breed, who makes up for Alex’s reserve. Joan and Jerry have been wonderful hosts! Their home is incredibly restful. They have a warehouse of books behind their home. They sell through the Internet. So, as a plug for them, you should go check out their listings. On Amazon.com they can be found at four_corners_books. On Ebay, fourcornersbooks.

On the falconry side, I find it incredibly interesting, but yesterday a redtail hawk flew over the house, and I’m certain it is a falconry escape. We saw the bird in the distance flying our way. I speculated by the form at the distance that it was a heron. For I could see something long trailing underneath, and I thought these were the legs. However, the neck was not stretched out like a crane, so I thought of a heron, as they bend their necks back along their back as they fly. However, as the bird got closer I was amazed to see it was an adult redtail hawk, with a very long jess or leash trailing behind. I was stunned! I watched its flight and saw it dive into a tree across the street as one of the many small blackbirds was harassing it. A short time later I had Shawn drive with me around the area, trying to see the bird again. I had my gauntlet, but no whistle nor lure, nor meat for that matter. I fashioned a very crude lure using a dish rag tied on the end of a rope. But, we never saw the bird. I was told by the others that they did see it flying by about an hour later. I did what I could! I went online and placed a report with the Colorado Hawking Club. I received responses that they would send out the word in case anyone was missing a hawk. We did have one man come by shortly thereafter, hoping it was his bird. He is in the process of moving, and his bird escaped. However, he is looking for an immature hawk. This bird was a full adult.

I shall keep my eyes to the sky, and leave the contact phone numbers for Joan in case she sees the bird after we leave. Very strange for this to happen just as we visit. It would have been even better though if I could have found the bird and called it to the fist, and get her back to her falconer. Well, it is still early, and we have a couple more days here. Who knows!

I watched the sun come up this morning, sitting in Joan and Jerry’s open field, which is filled with tall grasses. It was incredibly peaceful. I meditated, and absorbed the energy of the place. I endeavor over the next couple weeks to release the pressure and tension of my everyday life, and to tune into all the beautiful places I will visit. Vast and stark desert locations, yes . . . but there is a peace and a power in the desert!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter