Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Saturday, February 24, 2007

This and That!

It is a blizzard weekend! A huge spring storm dumped a ton of snow last night . . . and returns to dump some more tonight. I feel kindof stuck here at my home. Normally, I wouldn't be going anywhere anyways, but because I CAN'T go anywhere . . . feels so much more isolated . . . and lonely! I chat with several friends online. But not the same as having someone here. Sometimes, single life sucks.

So I'll load up some of the pics that Phil took this last week of Nina. And blog about a variety of things that pop into my head. Unimportant minutiae that make up my rather dull life right now.

So I did go hawking this last week with Phil. His area around him is not very good for bunnies, but instead pretty good for squirrels. However he and Belle have hit the squirrel woods so hard that those which remain are laying low. So Nina didn't have much of a chance at anything. When we moved, Belle got a chance at a bunny, and several squirrel flights, but no successes either. We people had much better success at the lasagna that Phil's wife, Laurie made. Thanks folks for your hospitality!

Everyone in my life seems to live so darn far away!

It got late as we were hunting Belle, so Nina didn't have another chance. I just took her home, and flew her early the next morning, again in a spot I've not hit this year outside of New Lisbon. Within about 10 minutes we had bunny #27 for the year. I cropped her up. And because the weather is just atrocious this weekend, I just fed her again today. Heck with it!

Lady Hawkers next weekend. Hopefully the weather will clear up for that. I want to go, and visit a couple folks while I'm at it.

Special note here now about right-handed gloves. I've managed to lose, hmmm, I think 2 this year so far. And I lost several last year. I don't know what it is about my right-handed glove, but I seem to always misplace them in the field. Wonder if I can write to the company that I buy my gloves from and purchase a set of right-handed gloves? And I also now have laying around several odd left-handed gloves. Of course I wear the gauntlet . . . so these gloves are pristine!
Now don't ya just love this picture above here? Too bad it wasn't centered. It captures Nina just before she landed on my fist. That's what's so cool about falconry . . . we have such close contact with these beautiful creatures!! And my Nina this year has just been fabulous!
Tonight I fried up some of the rabbit she caught last weekend. Uh, it tasted like chicken. But rather chewy chicken. Not tender. I've got some more in the crock pot. Someone suggested I make a pot pie out of it. I'll give that a try.
OK . . . anything else to ramble about?? It's snowing like heck outside! I'm lonely, and going to put myself to bed. What else is there to do?

Sigh!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter