Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Friday, February 22, 2008

Chomp

Again, today, it dawned terribly cold. About -7. This winter is really getting to be long. The snow is deep, the bunnies impossible to find, and the cold is really getting tedious and depressing. I've said it several times, but I am so ready for spring, even though for me this year, it will mean one more letting go, one more end of something significant in my life. But at least here, it is only for a season. I think I've mentioned here that I will be releasing Nina in the spring, in about 2 months. I will not replace her next season, as I know with my upcoming school schedule, I'm not going to have time. I will have mixed emotions about doing this. Though this bird drives me crazy sometimes, I've had some pretty good times getting out hunting with her. And because of her I've been able to meet many people, and invite them to go hawking with me. Most go out just once, then disappear. A few express interest to stick around a little longer. None are as passionate about the activity, other than my already established falconry friends . . . . and they all live too far away. It is something that I do, like so much else of my life, on my own.
Today by suggestion from Mike (Plant Doctor) I was guided to a new park that managed to escape my notice. Liz and I took the bird out to stretch her wings. Upon arriving I decided this place was perfect! I could see squirrels active in the trees, there were no houses too near by, and being a park I could leave my car without attracting attention. As we exited and got ready to get going, Liz noticed a hawk in the trees. After following her description, I discovered a cooper's hawk. It was just sunning itself in the tree. It stayed there the entire time we were in the park, only flushing in the end as we returned to the car, when Liz tried to take a picture of it.

We got Nina out and launched her as we crossed over to where some of the very large trees were. In very short order we had about four squirrels running. Nina picked a tree, selected her quarry and made several passes, and finally scraped #5 squirrel off the tree, and brought it down to the ground. Unlike all her other catches, she didn't have it's head, and it managed to bite her up her leg somewhere. Later, I checked her over several times, but could not find a bite. Hopefully she just got a pinch and bruise. But at the time it had her in such a way that she even squeaked at it. It surely must have hurt. I grabbed it by the head and it broke free from wherever it was biting, and Nina proceeded to grab my gloved hand and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. I think she was really pissed that she got bit! I dispatched the squirrel and traded Nina off onto her lure, with only a small garnishment. As she ate that I tucked away her prize with Liz' help. I then sent her up the trees to try again. There was still a black squirrel up there with no place to go. However, I think Nina lost her gaminess (or was sore) for she then perched and sulked, and would not engage. Liz and I walked around and tapped a few more trees, but she was not interested. So I pulled the lure, and she came down to it double-time. The single squirrel would have to do!
Though cold, it was a bright and sunny day. We got back to the car and tucked Nina away.
Then Liz and I stopped and picked up lo mein at the local Chinese restaurant for lunch. I'm so ready for spring . . . . but some days in the winter can still be fun!
I just hope Nina is OK! I did carefully inspect her later, but could not see any blood, or wound. Again, hopefully it was just a pinch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter