Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Friday, February 01, 2008

Orchid

Be sure to click on this picture for a closeup. That bottom petal forms a little pitcher which is used for its pollination. Insects fall into it, and as they crawl out they must push past the reproductive organs of the flower, and pick up pollen. When they go to the next flower, they pollinate it!

Last night I dropped by and visited a friend of mine. He has a hobby of growing and reading about orchids. He has an impressive library of books about orchids. He has a very modest collection of actual plants started, which every once in awhile one will bloom. He had one blooming last night. I asked him if I could take a few pictures and post them here. He said I could. I've asked him to provide to me the scientific name for this specimen, so it is forthcoming. He has several other that are going to bloom in the next few months, so I'll have to stop by and check those out when that happens. He also plans to go to an orchid show down in Madison this weekend. He assures me he'll be adding to his collection!

Update: The name is Paphiopedilum delenatii (paf-ee-oh-PED-juh-lum dela naughty i)

This is the entire plant, in a light setting. The leaves are actually quite interesting. I should have gotten a closeup of those!
Same plant, in a darker setting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter