Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

When Fashion becomes Art

Photobucket

OK, finally I can bring this blog entry to a close! I've somewhat given up on Picasa, and the function that loads pictures here on Blogger. Maybe at some hopeful future date they will notice that their software is not working as it should, and fix it. I went and posted these pics up on Photobucket and then tagged a link to them. I do at least know how to do that!

Above here was my most favorite ki mo no, all in red. Red is the color of prosperity and good fortune. What you may not be able to tell from these pictures is that the cranes are SEWN into the design. They are not painted, but stitched. From the quality, I'm sure these modern examples were made on modern sewing machines, but it is still dramatic!

Photobucket

This gold one was my second most favorite.

Photobucket


You can click on the picture here above and all the other below this to get a close up view. You can see some of the stiching.

From Carolyn (The ...


Below is a close up. This was an example that was painted.
They have an exhibit at the main place here in LAX where they keep public books. I'm not calling it what it is called, for I'm going to make sure I don't put too many key words into this post. Other key words will be spaced out . . . OK!! In order to take the pictures I had to give my name and phone number. I don't want to get called, and have to take this posting down. They are beautiful objects!! As you can see, they are Japanese Ki monos. They have a collection of about 12 on display for only a week. I'm lucky that I noticed! They are part of a collection that you can see in a gallery in Wa ba sha, MN. Just go Google it, you can find it. I did! These are worn in traditional Japanese weddings, though according to the site that you can find when you go Google, most young people these days are opting for the western white dress. What a shame! If I could wear one of these, I'd not pass up the opportunity. But they start at $600 and go up to $1800. Traditional ones in Japan begin at a cool $10,000 and can go over $100,000. I think I'd like to take a road trip sometime and go see the whole collection. There is also an Eagle Center at that same town. Sounds like a good day trip. Now, I just need to find someone that would like to go with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter