Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Fly Off

Today, surprising to me, Nina was very close to being at flying weight again. Some nights she burns through her calories faster than others. I had an errand to run this morning, but then I geared up and took her out to fly. I wanted to try that same small field where I caught the first squirrel, and the one where she crabbed. It's still a nice field and I'm sure I could kick up some bunnies. We were not out for more than 5 minutes and we attracted the locals . . . and lo and behold . . . that juvenile again. It came first, and a mature bird followed. I'm not aware that immature birds can establish themselves in a pairbond on their first year, but for whatever reason, this juvie is in this place, and quite ready to defend the turf. So, my first estimation of its situation was wrong! It is a successful, very brave hawk defending territory.

The two crabbed, again, but briefly. Then it flew off as I moved up and yelled at it. But then Nina started flying too. She started making wide flights over the area, and moving farther away from me. I headed quick to open areas, and pulled the lure. For awhile, she was just ignoring this. I watched her disappear out of sight, beyond the houses that are around this park. OK, no panicking! As I walked out of the park and into the neighborhood, I could see a hawk sitting in a tree at a very great distance. I pulled the lure again, and this time she came.

Relief!

I guess I'm just going to have to NOT hunt this field. It is pretty well defended by residents, and Nina is game to pick a fight. I don't need her taking off on me . . . not yet!

I packed everything up, and stopped at the ShopKo, to pick up a notebook. Spring classes start up again tomorrow. I have my first actual Respiratory Therapy class starting Monday. I'm on the way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter