Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Three's a Charm

Well, after several attempts over the last day, finally I've been able to load up the picture above. Gosh . . . I look like crap! Liz looks pretty good! I guess the bunny really looks bad! Nina says "urp"!

I met Liz out at Goose Island with a friend of hers to possibly fly the hawk. But after reading the regs on the board, I discovered there is no hunting allowed at Goose. So, we made a quick decision and flew Nina back behind Hillview. Her friend wanted to see the action, but he's recovering from surgery, so could not walk out into the field. This field is pretty small, and you can see the action fairly easy from the side of the road.

I put Nina up, and very shortly after that we were challenged by the resident. We even got full hawk screams. They perched in a tree together, and eyed each other up, but then the resident decided it didn't want a confrontation, so it took off. Liz and I continued to walk into the field. As I approached the same cattail bed, I heard Nina launch from where she was, fly over us, wing over, and crash. Squeal of bunny. That's #11 for the season, and the third one from this field.

It was a quick hunt, but her friend got to see the action.

We are forcast for snow tomorrow . . . possibly a lot of snow. Bill was planning to come fly with me here in La Crosse. We'll see if that happens based on the weather. I also started my microbiology class today. I'm going to be busy, but I think I'm going to have fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter