Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Saturday, April 05, 2008

And So It Is Done . . .

Today, April 5, 2008, I released, returned my third hawk back to the wild.
I had planned to do this alone, but instead met a couple people to include the Ranger at the office of Wildcat Mountain State Park. There is an open field on top of the mountain by the office which was really the perfect setting I wanted to release Nina into. I took her out of the box, unhooded her and clipped off her Federal band. She promptly demonstrated what a casting looks like by bringing one up for observation. Oh yum! We walked into the field, and she did fly up to a tree. However, very shortly she came down for the final meal I offered her. That done, she hopped up to my fist one final time, then took off again, spread her wings, sailed around in a complete circle and flew into the coniferous tree line behind us, out of view. I walked back to the office with my little audience, then indicated I wanted to walk in the woods for a bit. A few minutes into that I heard all the resident crows putting up a fuss. Sure enough, I found Nina high in a tree getting harassed. But after a bit they flew off. I went back to the car to get my camera, but could not find her when I returned. So . . . she is gone. I took a picture of the overlooking valley. It was early, 9:30 or so. She has many hours until sunset to adapt to her first day of freedom since she was trapped in 2005.
All my hopes and best wishes go with her!
FLY FREE NINA!!
May you have a good life! Thank you for all the wonderful hunts, and for letting me be a part of your wild life!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Matt Hardwick said…

    This would be very hard for me to do. I understand that it is part of falconry, but I still think it will never become easy to release a raptor. I like the permanent band idea a lot, and I hope that you get information back from that. It will be very cool if/when it happens.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter