Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Here Comes Peter Cottontail!

Happy Easter Everyone!! Now if only SPRING would show up!!
This morning I needed to get outside into the clear air, to cleanse my lungs and my mind. I was actually surprised to find Nina at a good flying weight. I've been over-feeding her of late. During my vacation, and the last two times I tried to fly her, we were not successful. I flew her for my relatives in Hobbs, NM, and there were so many bunnies it was not funny, but the wind was so strong . . . Nina could hardly hold onto the tree she was in. That was kindof funny! Without that wind she would have nailed a NM cottontail, I'm pretty certain. I then flew here in Illinois with my friend Darla, in a cemetary of all places, at the very end of my vacation last Sunday, but there we only flushed one bunny, and she missed. I really didn't want to end the season with misses.
With her weight today, and her aggressive disposition when I met her in her mews, I decided I'd accomplish my mind-cleansing walk with the hawk. Liz came with me. We went to the field where I have caught a bunny on one occassion, and a squirrel on another. There is a very significant cattail bed, and with the warming over the last few days, I thought maybe some of that snow had melted down some. It had, though still a lot of it, and water in some places underneath. Either way, we worked the beds. I wasn't seeing any bunny sign at all. Nina was following fairly well, though not tight to me. I had also decided to not put telemetry on her. It is not that I want her to fly off with all her gear, but I'm risking that happening more this late in the season, and with her not being at a true hunt weight. Either way, just about the time we were about to give up and take her to another location, I saw a little movement out of the corner of my eye. Nina was on the wing double-quick, she flew over the cattails, did a wing-over, CRASH . . . and bunny #15 was caught. I went to her and pulled her out into the open, dispatched bunny, and then decided for this final one to not trade her off, but let her crop herself up. I did however separate the head and back side, and let her have the upper legs and chest. She gorged. We took pictures.
I'm going to now officially end my 2007/2008 hawking season. In about two weeks I'm going to coordinate to get her a permanent leg band, and then release her. Until that time, she will be getting many good, large and regular meals to build up her reserves. I hope the snow melts so I can release her with open ground cover.

I'm happy to have ended on a positive note. 15 bunnies. 5 squirrels. 20 head of game. Not great, but not too horrible either. This will be the last bunny I catch with a hawk for some unknown amount of time. At least a year. My school will demand all my attention over the next year. After that, it is all a question of where I find work, and where I move and settle.
Life can sometimes be confusing. Sometimes very disappointing. Many times, very lonely, and frustrating. Today I flew for the final time a wonderful hunting companion. I'm going to miss her! I also had the company of a great house-mate, who I appreciate more and more as time goes by. Afterwards we cleaned up and went out for an Easter lunch.
P.S. The bunny was male . . . . so good thing he'd already done his rounds before his meeting with my hawk!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter