Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Great Horned Owl

This posting is specifically for my friend, Mike (the Plant Doctor).

Hey Mike! This is a Great Horned Owl! The Internet says average height is 18 to 26 inches. Now, I don't remember very well exactly how big you thought they were (as I recall I'd had a bit of a stout drink while we were discussing owls), but here is a picture. Yes, very nice, very large, very dangerous owls.

This one is an education bird at SOAR. He's a male, so not as big as they can get (the females are always bigger in the raptor world). Still, though, not as huge as I think you thought they were.
:-)

1 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Carolyn... Berni here. Saw Dickens on your page. I was cleaning the mews last week before Lady Hawkers. To my great surprise, I found an EGG in Dicken's dogloo. For nine years, we've misidentified Dickens as a male because of her smallness -- she only weighs 2 and a half pounds, and she's chunky at that! She is the smallest female GHO I've ever encountered. Just thought I'd let you know how much I don't know. Tee hee.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter