Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Squirrels to Chase, But None to Catch . . . and Travel Plans

I took Nina on Friday to Wisconsin Rapids to visit our falconry vet of choice, Dr. Dean Rasmussen. I needed a health certificate, as I'll be traveling with my bird. Some states require it to enter with a bird from another state. So, I have that little piece of necessary paperwork, just in case. Otherwise, he said she looks fine. Didn't even have any parasites.

Spring is in the air! She is becoming increasingly difficult to handle. She's always been a handful. This last week she has managed to catch me twice for some good punctures and scratches, and Liz once. I also didn't get to fly her on Friday when I should have. She's had an abundance of attitude.

This is all good, for I'm going to take her down to New Mexico on spring break, and try for jack rabbits. I have one more week of school before I can get out of here for a little while. My plans changed, and now my bud Darla is going to be my travel companion. I think we will have a good time! I'll be taking pictures, and posting them all here. This will be the last major fling with my bird. When we get back I'm going to feed her up to build up a fat reserve, coupled with some tethered exercises. I anticipate by the beginning of April to let her go. I will miss her, as her departure will signal one more ending. But I will also be happy to give her what she wants. Her freedom.

Today we did get out to that little park here in town that we visited a couple weeks ago. We had quite a number of squirrel flights. I'd say there were at least 7 to 10. I didn't keep count. But the squirrels all got the better of her today. She got some good flying in, and I got my exercise. The temperatures rose into the high 40s today. Things are getting slushy. Right now, this evening, as I type, we are supposed to be getting some more snow. But it is still above freezing, and it is now just a matter of time.

The bird clock is chirping. Midnight. I need to get to bed. Another week of classes and work. Already, half way through the semester. The time has been going rather quick. Which is a good thing. Sometimes, I still struggle with terribly complex emotions. I feel rather alone a lot. I feel isolated. I feel like I'm serving some kind of sentence. There are times, when my mood is more optimistic. True happiness, however, eludes me.

Soon, I'll not have any falconry to write about. But I want to continue to keep this journal. I'll try to keep it interesting.

OK . . . . to bed with me!

Oh . . . and special side note . . . . a very Happy Birthday to my friend Joe. I don't know if you'll see this here. I don't know if you visit. Irregardless . . . . hugs to you!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ya Carolyn, I hope to see Nina one last time before you free her. Take care and good travels to N.M. Miss you Doug

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter