Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, August 09, 2009

More North Shore Pictures

I've been pretty busy, and didn't come back to upload a few more pictures from my trip up to the North Shore. I include them now. Above was a gull sitting on her nest. She sat pretty tight, but did flush as I got really close. She had a chick that was hatching. We moved off so she could go back to her task. I thought it was a really nice, sharp picture! Click the picture for a close up to appreciate the sharp image.
The North Shore was alive with blooming lupens. VERY BIG Lupens!
Splitrock Lighthouse has staff that re-live the life, and give information about the upkeep and management of a lighthouse. The gentleman above was reenacting a lighthouse keeper.
Above is the glass lense for Splitrock Lighthouse. Each lighthouse rotates at a set schedule and color, which is how ships out on the water know WHICH lighthouse they are seeing. It was critically important to keep the rotation at the precise rotation, which is what the lighthouse keeper's job consisted mostly of. You can also see above all the crystals that are precisely aligned to maximize the focus of the light that generates the beam.
Because of their remote location when they were built, there were homes also built that families lived in for durations of time. This usually consisted of the lighthouse keeper and several assistants. The actor above was showing us one of the homes and the everyday furniture in them.
And just another pretty picture! Deep blue columbine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter