Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Door County - Fish Boil - And Time to Go

As the afternoon wore on I knew I wanted to focus my travelling efforts around Fish Creek. On my way there I stopped at the Seaquist Orchards (www.seaquistorchards.com) for a bag of apples, and to check out what else they had to offer (a lot) of which I did not purchase. I also saw a small shop above, the sign catching my attention. I wonder why?? They only sold crafty stuff, and not fruit, though fruit was grown there.

In all the literature of the area I kept reading about something called a “Fish Boil”. Apparently it is the quintessential Door County activity to participate in. Prior to leaving home I had done a little research and found a location to get in on this event. Being late in the season, the opportunities were becoming increasingly rare. However, the White Gull Inn at Fish Creek was still hosting these events. I arrived in the town, and still having a bit of time, went to the Fish Creek Kite Company (http://www.fishcreekkites.com/. There I bought myself a kite, which I have not played with for years. Soon I’ll have to take it out flying!

I located the White Gull Inn, (http://www.whitegullinn.com/), parked my car, and went inside to confirm my reservations. They were offering 3 fish boils that evening, and I was reserved for the latest one. I moved my reservation up to the 5:15 boil, because I was early enough to do so. I had about an hour to wait. So I walked around the town a little bit, took some pictures, and went to the harbor and watched the sun go down. The town, the shore, the restaurant . . . everywhere people were visiting in pairs. My single status was painfully evident to me. Here, walking around a honeymoon kind of place, sometimes it creeps into my consciousness, and bothers me. Well, I can’t wait the rest of my life for someone to show up, so I can start living again. Just start living . . . maybe some day . . .


What is a “Fish Boil”? We were told it stemmed from earlier days, when crews of hungry sailors could be fed easily and quickly out of one big pot. I was told to arrive about a half hour before the meal, and so I was there. Out back a large pit is set aside, and there a huge pot with a fire under it was already boiling. I arrived in time to see the potatoes go in, and salt. These would take the longest to cook. The chef monitored the progress, and the flames. He stacked around on the outside more wood up against the pot where it would get hot. He would come every few minutes and spear a potato and test it for doneness. Once it reached a critical tenderness, he brought the fish. We were told it was fresh steaks of Lake Michigan whitefish. Each item in the pot has its own basket. Potatoes first, then the fish. The salt is not for seasoning so much as it is for increasing the boiling point of the water. The chef also spooned off fat from the top of the boiling contents, as these could interfere with the final step.


The fish boiling was timed. At a critical moment, the chef then introduced kerosene onto the burning wood on the outside. This created a fabulous flair up of all the wood, causing the water in the pot to become instantly flash heated, and to boil over. It was rather a dramatic event to see. Once done, a couple of kitchen staff were on hand to lift the pots out of the boiling water, and we all marched in behind them into the restaurant. Shortly thereafter we were served fresh boiled fish and potatoes, with cole slaw and an assortment of breads on our tables, and cherry pie for dessert. The fish was all-you-can-eat, and should be for the price I paid! It was worth it, a delicious meal, and a notable memory of my visit. Oh . . . and all the time while we ate a man played on an accordion!



The evening getting late, and I being pretty full and rather tired, I headed back to my camp. I skipped checking out Egg Harbor. Oh well, all I had planned to do there was eat ice cream. Next time!

Back at camp, everything was very quiet. It being a Sunday night, most people had already left and gone home. There were just a few die-hard folks in travel trailers. I pretty much had the evening and the area to myself. I was determined this time to get a fire going, having purchased some wood the night before. I took a tip from the chef at the fish boil, and this evening introduced some of my lamp oil to the wood. OK, it may not be considered safe, but I only poured small quantities from a cup, and was careful to not spill it on me or the table or any where else I didn’t want it. IT WORKED!! The wood caught, and I had a cheerful fire for a couple hours. This then again is the difficult time when you are entertaining a camp fire by yourself, when it should be shared with either friends, or a special someone. I spent quiet contemplation time with myself. Oh, and boiled some water for a cup of tea. I monitored the flames until they died down into a bed of hot coals. If the night had not gotten cold or windy, I might have still had hot water in the morning. However, the night turned cold, and windy.

I rested fitfully enough, but my dreams were filled with wind and rain, and the thought that my tent might collapse in on me. However, it held firm. I was actually protected in a little valley next to a cliff, but the wind danced in the upper branches of the trees around me. It was interesting to hear the zephyrs move around the area, as they shook the dried leaves. Like waves the wind moved around the valley. I was tucked into my sleeping bag and was warm and toasty! It probably got into the 30s. I don’t think I’d want to use the equipment I have for much lower than that!


The morning again was very quiet. This time however, I didn’t care if I made noise. I got up and packed away my things, then took a last picture of the road down the park, and as I was leaving, a shoreline picture of Sturgeon Bay. I went into town and topped off my gas tank, and this time used their bathroom to tidy up a little, oh, and get coffee again, for 75 cents into the drop can. The morning was cold and windy, and I was glad that my Sunday had been a bright, sunny pleasant fall day. I returned up the road a few miles until I located an orchard, and purchased a few small items. I then hunted down a coffee shop in Sturgeon Bay reported to have WiFi. I found them! Over a cup of hot chocolate I loaded up my pictures, and check my e-mail.

OK . . . on the road again . . . to home.

I stopped in Necedah and had lunch with my friend Chris. I stopped for awhile at Dave’s house while picking up Nina, and participated in some trapping at the end of his grass runway, and watched and helped a little with training of new birds.

I should come back here soon and write about trapping using a bow net and pigeons.

For now, my little trip done, I got on home.

I will have to go camping more often! To go with a friend or two would be even more fun!

Any volunteers??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter