Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Door County - The Tip

Sister Bay is the epitome of Door County! The surrounding cliffs and hills are filled with pricey condos and time-shares. The bay is filled with expensive and tall yachts and sailboats. The streets filled with yuppie professionals on their weekend trips, flitting from expensive shop to expensive shop. I stayed long enough to take a picture of the bay (which didn’t come out) and moved on up the coast. If you like quaint little shops, then this place is for you! My shoe-string budget and simple tastes, not to mention my very casual attire made me inclined to not stay and linger.

The brochures I reviewed said the Ellison Bay Bluff had a spectacular view. Somehow, while looking for it, I made a wrong turn and ended up down a pretty steep and possibly private drive. Well, I stopped and got out for a look anyway. The “beach” was lined with many small “ankle-turning” stones. I explored it for just awhile. There were lots of spiders ducking under the rocks. A few plants had found a foot-hold. I took a picture of some dried milkweed as it was giving up its self-propelled seeds. Most of those seeds would drift out over the water to a useless fate. Some others may find a place between the stones and spiders to grow up more milkweed next year. Retreating I then found the road to the actual Ellison Bay Bluff. Yes, the view was spectacular! Again, however, my camera simply did not catch the view clearly. I gave it a good whack in my hands, and that seemed to help, as later on up the road the pictures were improved. Turning off the back road and getting back onto Hwy 42 I noticed an old and unused orchard. I was tempted to go for an apple or two, for the old trees were heavily laden with them, but decided thievery may not be wise in broad daylight. And besides, apples are pretty cheap, I could acquire them legally!

I headed on up to the tip of Door County, passing through Gills Rock, and noticing as I went past a coffee shop with WiFi. Hmmmm . . . will have to take a coffee break on the way back! I followed the road until it ended with the Washington Island Ferry. Because of time constraints Washington Island was simply not on the agenda. I picked up a brochure about riding the ferry. At some future date when I have more time I’ll have to go over to the Island. I happen to know the man who runs the power plant. I worked with him at my previous job for many years. Sometime I should look him up and see how he and his family are doing. I did ditch the car for awhile and walked on the tip. The shore was filled with deep drifts of fresh water shells. You can see the island against the horizon. The water is very cold! I picked up two white stones to take home . . . one to give to my room-mate, and one to keep for myself!


Passing back through Gills Rock I stopped in and had a cup of cappuccino courtesy of Dewey at the GT Coffee. It was good coffee, strong! I checked my e-mail and sent messages to my friends. “Hello from the Tip!” He had a humorous sign on the wall. It stated: “Unmonitored children will be given an Espresso and a puppy!” :-P


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter