Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Door County - A Weekend Getaway


It is already Wednesday of the week after my trip. Because of a test (another one) in my Anatomy class I could not sit down and type up my observations and experiences this past weekend. I did take the time to load the pictures! It is now Wednesday evening, my test done, and the phone at work is quieting down some so I can begin to tell the tale.

I cannot know where my life path is going to take me. I’m not making too many plans for very far out, because all is in transition, and increasingly I am learning that nothing is permanent. Anything could happen! Because I embrace the possibility that I will leave this state once my training is completed, I have decided I need to be sure to see the things that should be seen, lest I regret not having done them at some later date. Door County has beaconed to me for some time.

Based upon the tourist information brought to me by a co-worker (Thank You Sandee) as well as everything I picked up on my own trip, Door County offers a wide variety of activities. Primarily the towns offer high-end shopping, museums, art galleries, fine dining, and expensive lodging. It is possible however to do the Door on the cheap! And that is exactly what I did. I did not come to see art, or stay in a cushy over-priced bed, or take a jaunt on a sailboat. I did want to see the landscape, and try out the apples and cherries.

I dropped my hawk off at Dave’s (thank you once again for hawk-sitting) and was on my way. It was a pleasant day, and besides the fact that all my Saturday morning WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) shows were interrupted because of pledge drive week, I managed to balance out listening there to other stations I picked up on the trip. Once I got up near to my destination I found a station (The Bay) that played a nice mix of music from the last four decades. Somewhere in my storage shed I’ve safely tucked away my own music . . . so very safe it is secured from my retrieving it, so I must rely on the radio.

My goal was Potawatomi State Park, just North of Sturgeon Bay. I had to check in before 3:00 or my camp site would be forfeit. I made it about 2:00 with time to spare. After a chat with the Ranger, and purchasing my State Parks Sticker from her (because I’ve managed to not get out and go anywhere all year) I entered the park to find my site. I’ve never camped before! My own family just never did this! I (we) had all the camping gear during my married existence, but just never seemed to get around to doing it. In hindsight now, I don’t know why I waited so long. It was easy, it was fun, and best of all, it was cheap! To camp is only $10 a night.

After setting up my tent, and putting what few supplies I was going to use into it, I decided to take a little nap. I had not slept much the night before, having worked, so a nap was in order! The campground was rather full, and noisy, but that has never prevented me from sleeping. I dozed for about an hour. After the nap I got up and drove around the park. I found a 75 ft tower on one end, climbed to the top, and took pictures of the opening of Sturgeon Bay. This is the very first picture below, a couple of posts down. I did not linger long, for I had specific evening plans, and needed to get off to undertaking them.

My friend, Darla, who lives south of Chicago had a family get-together for this weekend. Previously I had thought about going to visit her on my long weekend, but instead decided to go to Door County. She called me a day before I left and asked me where I was going again. It turns out her family decided to have their get-together in a nice resort hotel . . . in Sturgeon Bay! What are the odds?? So I was invited to an Italian feast! Her family is quite lively and close. The party (besides being a good opportunity to get together) was to celebrate the 18th birthday of her cousin, Jennifer, as well as the 80th birthday of her Aunt Grace. They were calling it the “180 Party”. The guests of honor, especially the elder, were quite lively and entertaining. There was much joking and laughing and playful teasing. I had a good time! In the picture above, her mischievous uncle Joe decided he needed to be in the pic with all the pretty women!

I had to get back to the campground before close at 11. I think I actually arrived around 10. I was surprised to see that it was very quiet, and most people had gone to bed. There were some campfires going. I myself tried to light one, but I was dismal in my attempts that first night. It having been a long day, and my true plans for the visit taking place the next day . . . I turned in.

(Side Note – I shall never, ever be able to go camping with my dog, Anubis. I’m certain he would bark all night long. And besides, I don’t think I’d like to be in my tent with him!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter