Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Herons of La Crosse

This will begin a rather large project I have tasked myself with. This summer the Pump House, a regional arts center, is sponsoring a community project to enlist the residents and visitors of La Crosse to enjoy and appreciate art. Thirty-five larger than life herons have been painstakingly decorated by regional artists and local community centers and will grace various locations in our city for the summer. At the end of the summer they will be auctioned. I'm assuming the proceeds will benefit the ongoing artistic endeavors of the Pump House.

Be sure to click the pictures for a close up view. It's worth it!
I stopped by today and was able to witness some of the final touches being administered to this most beautiful heron. Her name is Rose of Heron, and her artist is Judy Thelen.
By next week all the herons should be delivered to their summer homes. Today, I tracked down six of them, took their pictures and the GPS coordinates. I have set myself a goal to track them all down in the very near future, and post their pictures here, and create a geocache tour . . . that is unless someone else beats me to it.
What a wonderful project!!

Thank you to all the artists who participated and shared their eyes for art, their humor, their soul.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you for posting the photos and information about the Herons. I saw 4 of them this weekend just driving around town. First one I saw, I didn't stop and I can't remember where it was, but then we stopped at the one in front of North Central trust co, and the one across the road from it. Today we saw one at Carlson travel. I'm going to try to find most of them also, I can't wait for your geocache!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter