Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Rare Visitor!

Check out who has been getting some suet from my feeder lately. That's a female Pileated Woodpecker. Almost the largest North American Woodpecker. The only one that is larger is the Ivory Bill, which has only recently been discovered to NOT be extinct, although exactly at what level of endangered it is, I don't know. Besides, they are also down south in the swamps. Pileates are not endangered, but they are incredibly shy, and don't normally come to a feeder. She must be pretty hungry! I've seen her visiting, and finally today, because I had a full day to sit in front of the window and work on my homework, I saw her fly into the nearby tree. At this point I got set up near the window and waited. Eventually, she felt safe enough and flew down for a snack. I then caught her picture. Maybe not magazine quality, but good enough to prove her visit!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Aaron said…

    That's very cool Carolyn! Maybe Sharon @ birdchick.com

    (http://www.birdchick.com/blog.html)

    would be curious to see this photo. It definitely seems like a sign of this harsh weather and I think it is rare to get one of these at the feeder.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have seen a few of them in the woods, though only a glimpse through the trees. It is great to be able to actually see what I have seen flirting through the trees. Most likely this icy weather of late has made it difficult to find food.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter