Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Bunny #2

Today Nina and I, and our house-mate Liz explored some of the La Crosse marsh. I was aware of a field that the other falconer here in the area uses. He had shown it to me a year and a half ago. There are walking trails around here, so I used what I know about the area so far and found the field again.

I flew Nina over the weekend, but she was too high. She chased a few squirrels, but not with much enthusiasm. I dropped her weight a bit, and got much better results today. Liz and I didn't go too very far from the car. I must have flushed about 3 or 4 bunnies. This last one she came crashing down through the brush and made the mark. While working to extract her from the tangle (there was a barb-wired fence in the way) she grabbed onto my glove, and managed to pinch my finger. You can have a leather glove on . . . it doesn't matter when a hawk gets a good grip on your hand. The area is bruised and sensitive.

So we have bunny #2! I had Liz take a pic of us two after the hunt. I needed a shower . . . BAD!!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi ya CB,
    It looks like LaCrosse is agreeing with you and Nina. When are we going to see you? Rod is having the club at his house Dec 1, are you busy? You could come here and we can go together. Things are quieting down a bit here, Brian had a heart attack and was in the hospital for a few days then had to go back with fluid on the heart yesterday but he was able to come back home same day.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Liz.

    Pat brought home takeout Turkey dinners with the trimmings for us today. Very good home cooking from the local grocery store. My brother is coming tomorrow and we will have our turkey dinner Saturday, are you busy? You are always welcome here, just let me know you are like family;)
    Marlene

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter