Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, November 15, 2007

So Begins the New Season

Today Nina finally caught her first head of game for the 2007/2008 season. It's a cottontail, and it was hard earned!

Yesterday after leaving class I stopped in at a grocery store near the college that I've never visited before. When leaving, and trying to navigate traffic, I turned down a back road. It looked good, so I followed the road. It ended in an industrial park that had an absolutely PERFECT hunting area out back. Nina was at weight today, so I took her there.

My goodness . . . my girl is a SLUG this year!! We must have had about 10 flushes, or more, and many she came crashing down on only to miss by a slim margin. One of the bunnies she stripped off its tail. I'm not sure if she's just not in as good shape as she could be, due to taking the summer off, or if the longer jesses I have on her are holding her up, or if she is slower due to the tips of her primaries being gone. She tipped most of them in her new facilities. I'm not sure if that contributes to speed, or what. Either way, this was our 5th time out, and up until now, nothing has been caught. But today, we have the first bunny for the bag.

The place we hunted was pretty good! It would be perfect for inviting friends, for there are quite a few bunnies. However, I'll only return on a weekend. I got challenged by some factory manager or something. He was afraid I might trip on the pipes out back. I trip a lot in the field! I'm not worried about his company's pipes! But I'll come back on a weekend when no-one is around.

Nina probably could even be dropped a bit further, as I flew her at 47.6 oz. That's almost 3 lbs. She's a big bird, but if I drop her a bit more, I'll probably get even better field control, and maybe a bit more speed. More practice too!

So, thus starts the new season! I hope to get my girl into really good condition. My plans are to release her in the spring! She should have no problems finding a territory. She's a pushy thing. and today, she was successful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter