Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day Hunt

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Today, after getting the turkey bird into the oven, I took my hawk and a couple friends out for a quick hunt. And indeed . . . it was a QUICK hunt! I tried the little patch back behind Hillview Nursing Home, which is just up the street from where I live. I've been here twice before, but Nina did not catch the multiple bunnies flushed there . . . not yet anyway. Today I think she had her glasses on! Actually, I think her first few hunts she didn't have her aim quite on. It seems to have focused in now though. The first bunny flushed, she nailed it quick and efficient. We were only in the field less than 5 minutes. I could have tried for doubles, but there was more meal preparation that needed to be attended to at home, so I called it quits at just the first bunny. I did trade her off onto her lure, and then quickly field dressed the bunny, and offered Nina the warm chest contents, topped off with the head. She got her feast! Unfortunately, this means what was left over was not suitable for picture taking. We are at bunny #3 now for the season. I hope to break my record from last year of a dozen by the end of the year. I took her home to hang out on her perch, and put her crop over in peace while we went inside and had turkey with all the trimmings.
Thanks to Liz, my room-mate, for help on the hunt, and to Jay from Wisconsin Rapids, who I invited with a few others to come and share our holiday meal. Too many people live alone. It's nice to share a special meal, and make a day special for friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter