Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Herons of La Crosse - Where Did They Go???

Well . . . . pop my little bubble!!

I was having a pretty good time hunting down the 35 herons, most of the 25 I had found so far all on my own, without any help from any lists. I took pictures of each, their GPS coordinates, and published them here.

I got an e-mail yesterday . . . . .

Seems members of the board at The Pump House want to keep a tight control of the marketing of this project. They don't want any pictures out on the web, except the ones they have approved. The letter tossed around the word "copyright" a few times, as if implying taking pictures of something that is out on the street for all to see and observe is illegal. I would argue that point on principle, but only to that level because I don't know any attorneys, and have no interest in a fight. I was doing exactly what they want people to do . . . . get out and walk around and find them all. The only difference is that I was documenting that quest in pictures in an open forum.

I guess I could launch into a diatribe about the nature of art, and how sometimes that which is created can take on a life all its own when interpreted into different media or a different medium. I could also get on a soapbox and complain that because I was not selling any of the images, nor had any interest in doing so, and was giving full credit to those who had done the original work, I had the freedom of speech to document the search, and was violating no copyright. However, I am not a crusader. I'm just a student trying to get by right now, finding interesting things to write and take pictures of, in the absence of a bird in my life to blog about. I've had my share over the last couple years of being told I was so wrong about everything. I also found coming to live in the city a bit stifling, what with having to put a shock collar on my dog to keep him from barking and disturbing the neighbors, parking the right way in front of my home, and having to explain the large raptor in the backyard . . . which surely must be breaking a law somewhere! (CLARIFICATION - I am a LICENSED falconer, and allowed to have the hawk, and proved that to Animal Control when they came calling. My point here was the nosey neighbors who figured I must be doing something wrong and reported me, even though I had already talked to them when I moved in, and told them I was licensed to have the hawk). I felt quite a thrill when I heard about this project, and was having fun bagging cranes (since I can't bag bunnies anymore).

I'll probably see it out through the end. I still have ten more to find, many of which I know the location, but several are still not out. I still intend to make a geocache event of it. That should surely meet the goals of those who created the project. The only way to complete the geocache is to actually go and see each one. But it's not as fun as having pictures to prove!

My overall impression was that I was helping out the project. A Google search would find my page. All those people I had told about it responded in a favorable manner, and indicated they would have to go find some of them. I've had positive feedback on my blog, and my visitor tally has jumped. I invite anyone who has been coming here to please feel free to express your thoughts direct to the Pump House. A Google search will find them easily enough. Be nice though! I'm not going to include any e-mail addresses. Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight.

But I do disagree!

4 Comments:

  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Aaron said…

    Hey Carolyn,

    Are they maybe upset with you because your stated project could be perceived as "spoiling" the fun and surprise for others? Sounds like you are really getting with the spirit of things but the blog thing is a little bit of an interesting variable.

    A group did a similar project in Madison with Cows. They were a nice surprise to find in unexpected places around town. Wouldn't it' be better to publish this photo essay at the end of the summer at the close of the project? Why not let them orchestrate it's unveiling in precisely the way that they want to? Kind of like making sure everyone gets to read the last Harry potter before you put your comments about it on your blog?...

    Pretty cool summer event regardless. Hope you are enjoying spring.

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger snafu918 said…

    They are not allowed to ask you to take down the photos. The photos were taken in public space and therefore part of public domain and you have the right to do whatever you want with them. This is the same reason that the poperotzi can sell photos of celebrities and others even though they wouldn't allow it if they had a say.

    Tell them to go stuff themselves. First they are stupid for not allowing people to help spread the marketing for them.
    Second they are stupid, see reason one.
    Third they are obviously too old and don't have any new grads on their team to explain how good internet viral marketing cane be. Tell them to ask their children how the situation should be handled.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You'd think that when they were displayed at the Pump House and also when you took pictures of the woman painting one they would have said something then. I personally enjoyed seeing your pictures of them here. Sorry they put the kabosch on your support.

    -CC-

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    Thanks folks for your support! As far as "spoiling" their fun, they themselves put out a list of the locations. They just don't want the pictures out there. They intend to publish their own collection of pictures, and feel having the pics on a public forum would decrease any revenue from that. They also think that being able to access the pics on the net would discourage people from going and looking for them.

    I took them down voluntarily. But I am a little discouraged. I was having fun finding them, and now I'm not so excited anymore.

    When I took the pictures at the Pump House no one noticed or seemed to care. The fun was in the chase. And it was something pretty for the blog.

    Oh well . . . I'm taking a trip to Oregon in a few weeks . . . so stay tuned and come see some pretty pics that NOONE and tell me to take down.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter