Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Monday, May 12, 2008

OREGON

So . . . . here I am! I finally made it to Oregon!

I guess I have to thank a certain Soil Scientist in Pendleton for steering my attention this way. Because of this friendship, I became aware and took a much greater notice of the area. Looking at a map, the Eugene area has particularly caught my attention. It is one hour to the ocean, and one hour to the mountains. There is a very large hospital there that is hiring Respiratory Therapist right now. On Thursday I hope to meet with someone in their RT department just to make initial acquaintance, and establish a contact that I might be able to follow-up on in a year once I'm done with my training. Because of this friendship . . . I wanted to come to this area and check it out . . . as a potential home for me to set down new roots.

Finally . . . I am making that trip!

At this writing, I'm sitting in a very quaint pub that is part of a chain of establishments created by the McMenamin Brothers. This one is called the Kennedy School. They are old buildings in and around Oregon that have been referbished, decorated, turned into restaurants and hotels, and lots of quaint bars. It is very comfortable!

OK . . . in reverse order, my trip here!

This is the view inside the airport at Portland. I hoped for a sign that said "Welcome to Portland" but only saw one as I was driving onto the freeway . . . and could not get my camera out.
I was assigned a window seat, but upon boarding, found myself in a 2-fer row with a young man whose wife was on the 3-fer row. They asked if I would switch so he could sit with his wife. How could I say 'no'? So I switched, but then couldn't look out the window. But I did have a front row, aisle seat, so lots of leg room. For most of the trip it was cloudy, but for awhile there was some pretty spectacular scenery. I don't know if this was over the Rockies or what. But it was stunning!
As you can see . . . this is in reverse order. I flew out of La Crosse on one of the little hop jets that you have to walk out to.
Liz took me to catch my flight . . . . I decided on a whim to take my little stuffed red-tail hawk. He's the only hawk I have now. I need to name him. Maybe on this trip I'll come up with something.
We had breakfast early early (like 4:30 AM) at the Perkins in La Crosse, so I could be at the airport by 5:30 or so.
Here's the little hawk looking over one of the wonderful travel guides the Tourist Department of Oregon was so kind in sending to me. It helped me to plan my trip, and the places I wanted to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter