Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Behind the Workplace - Bunny #4

This morning was a nice, sunny, crisp late fall/early winter day. I knew Nina would be recovered from her Thanksgiving day gorge, and ready to fly. My room-mate Liz joined me to check out the woods out behind where I work. There is a nice walking trail, and trees and brushy areas behind it all. I have taken the path previously to confirm there are squirrels. It looked good for bunnies too. So we checked it out today, on a weekend, when the parking lots would be empty.

As soon as I got out of the car I saw squirrel activity. After getting Nina all set up with her transmitter, I launched her that direction. A particularly large black squirrel froze against the branch, and after a few minutes, Nina positioned herself and took a dive at it. She did catch it with a foot, but did not have a really good hold on it. As she came down and struck a branch, she lost her grip, and a chase ensued . . . eventually resulting in the squirrel getting away. We continued on.

During this time, I noticed that we had attracted attention from two young ladies who were working at the Coulee Region Humane Society (Yes . . . the SPCA is right here below where I was hunting). Always, when I attract attention, I try to control the situation so that the random onlooker will come away with a positive impression of falconry. I saw them, I acknowledged them, and walked down into the valley and said hello. They asked some of the usual questions: What are you doing? Is that your bird? Is it injurred? I like to explain that I'm "exercising my bird", that yes, she is in my care, and No, she is not injurred, but completely healthy. I emphasize that I am a LICENSED falconer, pursuing a regulated sport. I'll ask if they would like to meet her, and call her down for a quick tid-bit, and their chance to see a raptor up close. I think the call down is always a very impressive thing for people to see! It was a brief encounter, but they both walked away smiling, and thought that what I was doing was cool!

Too bad they didn't stick around for a couple more minutes!

Almost as soon as I sent her back up a tree, I flushed a bunny which ran up and over the hill. She was hot on its trail. I heard the bunny scream, and knew she had #4. I worked my way up the rather steep hill and found her hanging onto the bunny, at a fence, stradling a pole, one leg on each side, the bunny on the other. It took a couple minutes to get her to let go of one leg so I could remove her and bunny away from the fence. I hope she didn't crash into the fence!

I did the usual rabbit dispatch, secure hawk, lure transfer, and let her eat off the lure while I put her prize into the bag. I then posed for a couple pictures, and headed back to the car. This particular rabbit was cleaned up and tucked into the crock pot. We'll see if I can make some rabbit stew. Liz and I put everything away, cleaned up ourselves, and went and had brunch.

Overall . . . a perfect winter day . . . except I had to go to work later! SIGH!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter