Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Hard Winter

This last weekend we had our first major winter storm. Normally that would not be a problem, as the hunting goes on. In fact, many times it makes the hunting just a little easier, because we can confirm there is bunny activity in a field based upon the "bunny sign".

"Bunny Sign": tracks, little round turds, urine

However, this particular storm started with normal fluffy snow, and there is a layer of that on the ground, but was finished with ice balls, which formed a fairly thick, hard crust on the top of everything. It is so very slippery and dangerous! I lost my balance multiple times today and fell.

Today I checked out a field that during any other normal hunt, and especially prior to any snow, should have provided multiple bunny slips. I flushed no rabbits today! There was plenty of bunny sign, and I saw at least four holes going down into the ground. Too bad we can't use ferrets in the US. There was one major brush pile, which I could not kick anything out of. It was a bunny bust day!

I did have several squirrel flights, and one of them Nina was rather serious about it, almost catching the squirrel on the ground. However, I think I'd need to bring her down a bit more to get her really serious about squirrels. She's really been spoiling me this year so far. I've been flying her at 48 ounces!! At that weight she is staying near me, following, and going after any bunnies I kick up. However, she lacks fire for squirrels, which would require me to bring her down just a bit more.

Tonight it is snowing again, a very light but continual dusty kind of snow. Just what we need!! A layer of dust on top of slick ice! It will be even more dangerous! I hope it warms up just a bit this next weekend, which I hear it is supposed to do, and maybe melt some of this slick ice on the top of everything. Otherwise, this could make for a real damper for the rest of the hawking season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter