Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Friday, December 07, 2007

More Snow

On Tuesday night we got more snow to go over the hard top of the stuff that fell over the weekend. There is actually enough to insulate for the most part that slippery stuff. Mostly.

Liz and I went out hawking yesterday, Thursday, and Nina demonstrated to me that truly 48 oz is just too high. Sure, when the weather is nice, and if a bunny runs by, she'd chase it, but it was very cold and windy yesterday (first time I've worn my hat in the field, and I HATE wearing my hat). She followed, more or less, but was not very focused on what we were doing. She was more interested in fluffing up and tucking her foot to keep warm, not hunt. We did flush several bunnies in the now very thick snow. She didn't fly with much conviction, and certainly didn't pursue, or go to high perches easily. In fact, she even flew off for a brief time.

Now is the time that you have to use a bit of "tough love" on the bird. It is quite cold, but she is holding onto her weight. She's healthy, and is no where near to starving, even though she may act that way sometimes. I'm going to drop her weight back down to 47 ounces, at least. Next flight, she must be at 2 lbs 15 oz, OR LOWER. No more playing! If we are going to hunt, I want her to be putting just as much effort into the endeavor as Liz and I . . . tromping along in our thick coats and heavy boots.

On a side note . . .

I'm thinking about actually going somewhere on spring break this next year. I've registered for my classes this next semester, which will start mid January. This current semester is almost over. I still have several fairly hard tests in Anatomy and Physiology. I want to hunt jacks with Nina before I let her go in the spring. Best place to do that would be down in New Mexico, with the help of my falconry friend, Sharon. I'll need to look into the details on how to do that, as I'll be having to ship my bird with me. If it is not too expensive, I want to do this!! I'll only have a few days to do this, so it will be a very quick trip.

OK . . . I'm at the library and need to get going. I have Anatomy lab in a bit, then I'm going to go visit my Little Sister, Amanda, and go to dinner and a movie tonight. The Golden Compass! I've read the books. The Catholics and the Protestants are all up against the movie, strongly encouraging parents to not let their children see it, and oh, heaven forbit, let their children get curious enough to read the books, and form their own opinion. Censorship! Isn't religion just fabulous! Maybe I'll go by my storage shed and dig out my copies and read them again.

If I lived in Lyra's world, and had a daemon, it would probably be a Kestrel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter