Ladyhawker - On Sabbatical

I am a Woman Falconer! Falconry is a part of my life and personality. In no way however should anyone construe my life and writings to be the example of all falconers. This blog is about my experiences, and it includes my personal life as well. For now, I am in school and cannot practice this sport, so there is not much falconry related stuff to write about. I will fly a bird again . . . Some Day!

Friday, May 23, 2008

Camping at Perrot

I returned from vacation and worked two shifts, then had a rare two days off in the middle of the week. With the spring season underway, and no classes right now for a couple weeks, I took myself camping for a night. I've not camped at Perrot State Park, in Trempealeau. It's a short drive from La Crosse, so that clinched the decision on where to go.

When I arrived I was able to select from several tent camping sites. The choice for me was between an isolated spot on the perimeter, quiet, remote, or one on the inside circle that currently has blooming trees. If it was not for the fact that the center position also had some workmen noisily felling trees nearby for some project, I would have selected that. So I went with the remote. As I made my choice and registered at the office another couple was doing the same, and were my neighbors for the night. But there was enough brush between our sites to still make it feel isolated, and they were quiet and kept to themselves.

I had a lovely evening, after an afternoon nap once my tent was set up. I cooked my dinner, steak and beans and corn-on-the-cob, over an open fire. I read a book. I retired to sleep not long after it got dark. I awoke to the morning chorus of birds. I snoozed until some crows flew right over my tent and woke me again. I was up and secured everything, and went and climbed Brady's Bluff in the park, almost twice, after first drinking my tea and watching herons in the marsh fish for their morning breakfast. The first time up the Bluff I forgot my camera, so decided to just climb it all the way to the top. That done, I sat and had a spartan breakfast of a bread roll from yesterday, and a banana, and water. It was about 6:00 AM. I then went down and got my camera and climbed it again, at least half-way, and took pictures of spring flowers. Those are below. Wildflowers are not as showy as our garden variety which have been selectively cultured. But they are beautiful! It was a quiet morning that I had all to myself.
Hepatica of some kind.
Trillium - most of what I saw blooming was white trillium. But there were a few that had a pink blush to them.
I don't think I quite captured the beauty of the Trillium. They dotted this ascending hill, evenly distributed for quite an area. Very stunning in their simplicity!

I'll include both of the pictures of this flower called Shooting Star. My house-mate's flower book says they are in the Primrose family. Very pretty!
There was an entire hillside of them. Again, I don't think the landscape picture captures quite their beauty. Many of these flowers that spread out into an entire field were exclusively in that area, not sharing much with any of the other wildflowers. I'm not sure if this is simply competition, or just that each flower was taking advantage of the unique micro-climate of where it was growing. Click on the picture for a larger image which bring out the flowers.
Wild columbine.
I'll include both pictures of the wild columbine . . . for they are quite an interesting flower, and I managed to get good pictures of them.
Blue Phlox
Again, a landscape picture which simply does not capture the subtle beauty of these wildflowers. Maybe if I get a better camera some day! Again, click on the picture for an enlarged view.
Blue colored violet. They actually come in many shades. White, Yellow, Blue, Violet.
After my morning reverie, my house-mate Liz joined me about 10 AM and we took her new canoe out for its maiden voyage. We paddled the Trempealeau Bay backwaters, seeing bald eagles and herons and very large fish. Afterwards we went to the Trempealeau Hotel and had lunch. It was Liz' gift to me for my birthday . . . and a wonderful morning it was!
I certainly don't want to seem unthankful for the blessing that I do have, when I complain here sometimes about where I find myself in my life. My house-mate is a very cool person and I'm glad I found her and that she lets me stay in her home while I work to accomplish my education. I could not have asked for a better living situation.
I think we'll be taking her canoe out a fair bit this coming summer, as we are able to.
Prior to my trip to Oregon, I camped up north.  However, Blogger only lets me post so many postings per month.  So here is a link to that blog post:

Camping

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
Free Counter